News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Legion of Honor

ccj

My First Legion of Honor Breast Star.

Grand officer or Grand Cross?

I got this about 10 years ago and another about 6 years ago. Both are the same and are silver. I don't think theres a difference from the grand officer and the grand cross until the 4th republic changed the grand cross to gold.

Please educate me if I'm wrong...

Superb model Charles :jumping:

You are partially right. There were no differences between Grand officier and Grand Cross insignia (one was worn with the officer's cross, the other with the "?charpe" of Grand Cross.

The grand officer was made in silver gilt in 1962 under the 5th Republic which started in 1958, with the renewal of the L?gion d'honneur regulations and not after a change of republic. As far as I know, it is the only example of variation in the insignia not due to a political change.

Regards

Bison

Edited by Bison

Hello Gentlemen

Bison es quite right about the fact that up to the 1960s, both Grand Cross and Grand officers wore the same silver breast star.

To be quite precise about the distinction between these two ranks, one can add that the GC wore a large badge on a GC shoulder-r?bbon with the breast star on the left side, when the Grd Officer whore a simple Officer's badge with the breast star on the right side.

I peronnally am sorry the GC breast star was gilded. Looks too loud...

Regards

Veteran

Hello Gentlemen

Bison es quite right about the fact that up to the 1960s, both Grand Cross and Grand officers wore the same silver breast star.

To be quite precise about the distinction between these two ranks, one can add that the GC wore a large badge on a GC shoulder-r?bbon with the breast star on the left side, when the Grd Officer whore a simple Officer's badge with the breast star on the right side.

I peronnally am sorry the GC breast star was gilded. Looks too loud...

Regards

Veteran

I agree, gilt color is not as attractive on this large size star as the silver is.