News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Russian immigration to Belgium during the twenties

Rittmeister

The end of the Russian civil war in favour of the bolsheviks saw a mass-exodus of Russians, I presume most of them to be soldiers of the defeated White armies. I don't know if Belgium was a popular destination for Russian immigrants in this period. Most of them settled in Brussels. I assume that individual soldiers will have left no traces in Russian archives or literature, so researching them will be pointless?

I noticed that a disproportionate of them were officers, which would also explain how they managed to immigrate and rebuild their existance. Farmers or handworkers would usually not have the necessary funds for such a journey, even if they felt the need to emigrate. So I focus here on officers only and wonder if anybody has more information regarding their respective war service? I mention here some of them;

Michel Hovansky-Krasnoff, born 02.03.1898 in Petrograd. Naval officer, took part in the Great War 1914-1918.

Th?odore Essen, born 19.09.1887 in Abdoulino. Captain in the Russian Imperial army, 1914-1918.

Hi,

If you read Dutch, you should try to find the following book:

"LEVEN VOOR DE TSAAR: Russische ballingen, samenzweerders en collaborateurs in Belgi?" by Wim Coudenys

Edited by the Davidsfonds, ISBN 90-5826-252-9

Jan

Hi,

If you read Dutch, you should try to find the following book:

"LEVEN VOOR DE TSAAR: Russische ballingen, samenzweerders en collaborateurs in Belgi?" by Wim Coudenys

Edited by the Davidsfonds, ISBN 90-5826-252-9

Jan

Yes, I know that book, but I wondered if there exists something that is the equivalent of the German Rangliste for Russian Imperial officers? It seems like all of the immigrants served during the Great War.