News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Finnish decoration, but what?

Hi Peter, Back again I found this online:

http://www.artfact.com/catalog/viewLot.cfm?lotCode=HMsE17MM

Description:

Tampere Cross 1918, silvered; Viborg Cross, bronze and gilt; Svidja Medal 1918, bronze; Aunus Medal 1919, bronze; Civil Defence Guard Organisation Cross, one bar, 1917-1918, enamelled; Civil Guards Cross of Merit, enamelled; Civil Guards Medal of Merit (2), silver and bronze; Veteran's Cross 1881-1936, silver; Veteran's Medal 1881-1902, gilt; Helsinki Medal 1918-39; 'Lotta' Cross of Merit, silver and enamel; 'Lotta' Medal of Merit, bronze; Finnish Olympic Games Medal of Merit, silver; 'Pro Benignitate Humana' Medal, bronze, good very fine and better.

The search goes on :P

Kevin in Deva :lol:

Hi Kevin,

Of course you're correct, a sudden attack of brain glitch :speechless: What I meant to say was that it's not a typical Finnish style of bar. Thanks for giving the cross an official name :beer:

cheers

Peter

Its cross given to Veterans of Finnish the Army in the in the 55th anniversary of the Finnish Military Forces. I think the ones received that in 1936 were the career (cadre) officers who were in Finnish Army in that year - and I guess officers who has got their officer training in Imperial Finnish Army (= Imperial Russian Army before 1917) also received these but there was not many left at that time.

Its quite complicated cross and among few others like this much undervalued these days.

I should re-check my references.

Jani

Edited by Jani Tiainen