News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Aircraft ammunition identification

Snoopy

Hello

It is not in the best of condition, but I wondered if anybody could help me, with the nationality of this aircraft shell casing. It was found among the remains of an aircraft, in northern Norway, not far from the russian border. The wreck was spread out over a wide area, as if it had exploded in the air. Some of the aircraft parts had inscriptions in english. So, I wondered if the casing could be american or british, and the aircraft might then be one of the lend lease aircraft, senth to the Soviet union.

All the best

Snoopy

Edited by Snoopy

I am guessing that its a .50..i found some info showing the same type of headstamp S L ,this was described as been for ...

St Louis Ordnance Plant (SL)

Located near St Louis, MO this plant was operated by Olin Corp. under the United States Cartridge Co. name. One of the first wave of ordnance plants it operated from 1941 to 1945 and again from 1952 to 1958. St Louis was one of the largest volume producers but made only caliber 30, caliber 50 and caliber 60 ammunition.

hope this helps

I am guessing that its a .50..i found some info showing the same type of headstamp S L ,this was described as been for ...

St Louis Ordnance Plant (SL)

Located near St Louis, MO this plant was operated by Olin Corp. under the United States Cartridge Co. name. One of the first wave of ordnance plants it operated from 1941 to 1945 and again from 1952 to 1958. St Louis was one of the largest volume producers but made only caliber 30, caliber 50 and caliber 60 ammunition.

hope this helps

Hello

Thank you very much. That helps a lot. :beer: That would confirm, that the aircraft wreck, is one of the lend lease aircraft.

All the best

Snoopy