News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Slatin Pasha - which is his Full Medal entitlement ?

lilo

If this is any help, I know that my grandfather went to Stockholm in 1916 on behalf of the Austrian Red Cross. Perhaps the medal dates from that visit?

Hi galitzine,

Yes, it's very important because what you have said confirm, with great probability, that :

1) it was Slatin to receive the Swedish medal and not his wife;

2) Slatin received the swedish medal for his role in the Austrian Red Cross during WW1;

3) the medal in question, almost surely, was a Red Cross award given by the Swedish King/Red Cross istitution.

Following, there is the photo front/back of a 'Swedish Red Cross medal of Merit' awarded in 1935 : although Slatin died in 1932, we can consider this model the same that was received by him.

The next photo I posted is an enlargement of the Swedish medal I took from the photo representing the many awards of Slatin.

If, in the two medals we are analizing, we compare the particular shape of the 'crown', the particular suspension and the left direction to which is oriented the head of the King, we can see that they are the same in both medals.

What do you think ?

Edited by lilo

wow! Interesting that he got 3rd and 2nd classes of the DRK medal.

Reading again all this topic, I discovered to have NOT well understood - for my ignorance on the subject - if Slatin received (or not) both classes of the Prussia, Red Cross Medal 1898-1921.

According to what was stated by our member 'Ulsterman', it appears that Slatin did received both of them but from the photos successively posted by Slatin's nepew, Galitzine, a doubt arised in my mind.

If I have well understood, the difference between the 2nd and the 3rd class of the Prussia, Red Cross Medal is :

• the 2nd Class is in silver and has the central cross in red enamel;
    • the 3nd Class is in bronze and has the central cross plain (i.e. it has not the red enamel).

Am I correct ?

From the photo : http://s157.photobucket.com/albums/t62/galitzine/Slatin%20Pasha/?action=view&current=RedCrossMedal2.jpg we are sure that Slatin received the 2nd Class of this medal (see the medals on the right of the photo) but what class is the medal on the left ?

This last medal (that on the left) is in silver and not in bronze and it hasn’t the central cross in red enamel : then, what class is this medal ?

Can someone help me in better understand ?

Many thanks in advance

Best Regards

Lilo

Lilo,

As I understand it, the 3rd class was normally awarded in bronze but during the war in zinc or "war metal" ("Kriegsmetall") due to lack of bronze.

/Michael

Hi Michael,

Perfect !

Now, I have fully understood the matter.

Thank you

Lilo