News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Gentlemen;

Corresponding with a childhood friend, and he mentioned a family rumor, that there is an ancestor, a Field Marshal Prinz von Wrede who has a statue in Hamburg. He thinks that his family, at least recently, came from Osterholz-Scharmbeck, which he thinks is Lower Saxony.

I looked in my 1879 Prussian Rangliste, but nothing. I have previously seen Wredes and von Wredes coming from Bavaria. I have about 18 Prussian Ranglisten, but not one for other German states.

Does this ring any bells?

Bob Lembke

I think this can only be Carl Philipp von Wrede (1767-1838), who was Bavarian Field Marshal during the Napoleonic wars.

BUT - could it be that they mixed things up? Field Marshal v. Wrede has a very famous statue: in the Munich Feldherrnhalle...

I think this can only be Carl Philipp von Wrede (1767-1838), who was Bavarian Field Marshal during the Napoleonic wars.

BUT - could it be that they mixed things up? Field Marshal v. Wrede has a very famous statue: in the Munich Feldherrnhalle...

Many thanks. I e-mailed my friend with your information and he said that he had made a mistake, the statue was in Munich, and he saw it once. I had told him that I was running across von Wrede's, but that they generally were coming from Bayern. I think that there also was a bay. Infanterie=Regiment "von Wrede". Will look it up.

Yes, in 1900 there was the bay. Infanterie=Regiment Nr. 9 "Wrede" in the bay. Infanterie=Division Nr. 4., garrisoned in Wuertzburg. I assume named for von Wrede.

Bob Lembke