News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

French Uniform Identification

Doc

Does anyone have any idea what this uniform could represent? It is either WW2 French or conceivably inter-war. Thanks for any suggestions. Doc

Edited by Doc

Looks like a tropical thing of some sort.

Possibly, but what service or function? I can't see the hat badge well enough to identify it, and whatever's on the right collar is also indistinct. As far as I know, this lady never served in the tropics, though she did spend time in North Africa..... Doc

I highly doubt that it is Czech-- as far as I am aware, she never even visited there, and certainly never served with their armed forces. She served with French, Spanish, and Italian forces at various times, but I believe this is some kind of French uniform. Doc

Is it possible to have a close up of the ribbonsd?

Thanks

Chris

Chris, unfortunately, it's not a very good original. Here is the best I can do. But, she did have lots of medals. They include:

Legion of Honneur, chevalier 1935, Officer 1949

Chevalier de la Ordre de la Sante Publique )) Knight of the Order of Public Health 1937

officier de l'Instruction Publique

m?daille de a reconnaissance fran?aise (1914-1918),

Palme de Guerre 1916

Croix de Guerre 1914-1918 avec palmes

La M?daille de l'A?ronautique;

Palmes Acad?miques;

La M?daille de la Paix du Maroc (Spanish award),

Nichan Iftikhar de Tunis (Officier).

Croix de comandeur du merite sportif

I have no idea what ones she is wearing in this photo.

I know a lot about this lady, but I am trying to find out what she did in WW2-- thus my interest in identifying this uniform. Thanks for any help. Doc

MM_ribbons.tiff

Edited by Doc

Maybe the answer lays here..

With the North African connection it may be that she took whatever tropical uniform she could find.

It could not be a tailor made one off as the buttons are set up for a man, I would say an off the rack uniform.

Does the cap not look a bit Spanish?

Maybe the answer lays here..

With the North African connection it may be that she took whatever tropical uniform she could find.

It could not be a tailor made one off as the buttons are set up for a man, I would say an off the rack uniform.

Does the cap not look a bit Spanish?

Except that she earned those medals in the 1920s, and from her apparent age in this photo, I think it is WW2 era...or late 1930s at earliest. She was born in 1875, and appears about 60-65 or so in this photo to me, so that would make it 1935-1940. Doc