News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Thailand WW II Victory Medal

Hello Everyone,

The WW II Thailand Victory Medal arrived yesterday and the small ring attached to the medal itself was broken off. It was still on the device that joins the medal to the ribbon ring so at least it was still there. I purchased this medal from the dealer knowing this was damaged and with the hope that I could repair it. Since I have soldering equipment that we use in stained glass work I reattached the ring and now have a complete medal. From what the dealer stated this is a common fault with these medals so I wanted to pass this along to the membership. I made a jig to hold the ring in place and attached it using a soldering gun rather than one of the irons which are all too large for this work. It is not a jeweller's grade repair but it will hold quite well.

I really like the obverse of this medal and I hope you will enjoy it as well.

Cheers :cheers:

Brian

Here is the reverse of the medal. The repair is noticable but the solder will oxidize with time (about a month) and will not be as easy to see. I don't thinking there is anything wrong with minor repairs especially on medals that are unnamed or in all probability were never issued as I believe this one was never issued. I wouldn't repair a medal that showed actual wear damage as that is all a part of the history and character of an issued medal.

:cheers: Cheers

Brian