News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello gentlemen,

Just picked up this Luftschutz helmet which I am not sure if it is a M40 or 42. It looks similar to a few M42's posted but it has the "salt and pepper shaker" ventiliation like a couple other ones posted. The decal is in great shape, and the helmet has a bit of rust but not too bad. It was definitely worn for a while as the liner shows normal wear. Any information on this helmet is greatly appreciated. I will email Larry Strong the pics and being the cool guy he is he should post them on this thread shortly.

Thanks and check back soon when the pics are posted!

Pat

Thanks for posting the pics Larry!

From what information I have, my understanding is this is the standard 2-piece "Gladiator" style Lufstchutz helmet but I am not sure when it was produced. It has the stamp on the back but I am not sure on the total translation, "kopfweite 56" is the size, and I think the other markings are the official info. The rust doesn't look as bad in regular lighting, and it isn't as blue either without the bright camera lighting. I don't really have any doubts on its originality, but any further info or confirmation of my thoughts are welcome!

Thanks again,

Pat

So I can assume I am correct in my conclusion about it being the standard "Gladiator" 2 piece version. It is not a M40 or 42 as I have discovered in some research. Does anyone have any info on this type of helmet (when made, proper name etc.) or comments on it? I am going on the assumption that no news is good news and this is indeed a good original, as it seems to match on all accounts.

Thanks for any help!

Pat

Avitas,

From the pictures posted I would say this is an authentic three piece Luftschutz helmet. The three piece helmets were spot welded above the ear of the wearer then the crown was added. I can see the seam above the ear on one side of the helmet in one picture. These three piece helmets have a long, more sloping visor and an elongated neckguard as compared to the other models. The German text on the interior of the neck flaps says that the helmet is approved for Luftschutz use. According to Ludwig Baer these helmets were used by the SHD (Sicherheits- und Hilfsdienst) and were usually private purchase either by individuals or groups which is why they had the text on the underside of the neckguard.

Regards,

Gordon

Edited by Gordon Craig

Thanks Gordon,

You're right, there is a seam on both sides indicating a three-piece construction. I noticed the seam before but assumed because there were two major pieces riveted together it was a 2-piece. Glad I picked this up, German helmets are getting harder and harder to find (I still pick up Canadian ww2 helmets all the time at junk sales etc, some for pretty cheap!). Thanks again Gordon for the info and if anyone else has comments feel free!

Pat

Pat,

I should have mentioned that the blue colour is original. Something that gets harder and harder to find. People seem to think all German helmets should be black and spray pint them that colour. Nice helmet by the way.

Regards,

Gordon