News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Here is Early Cavalry Sword from the 30 Years War Period. The sword has a Talisman blade by the famous Solingen smith Peter Munich. In the Talisman engravings is a red color. Is it red paint or the remains of a Gold-Mercury amalgum as has been suggested to me.

The star like devices are considered planets, like Venus. For more on Talisman blades see Wagner's "Cut and Thrust Weapons" This book should be in every antique edged weapon collectors library.

Blade on this magnficiant sword is 37 1/2 inches long by 1 3/4 inches wide. This sword as most from this period is surprisingly light to handle. Imagine this weapon being wielded from a charging 20 mph horse. It could easily remove a head or arm, crush bones and unseat an opponent.

Edited by Vic Diehl

The star like devices are considered planets, like Venus. For more on Talisman blades see Wagner's "Cut and Thrust Weapons" This book should be in every antique edged weapon collectors library.

Blade on this magnficiant sword is 37 1/2 inches long by 1 3/4 inches wide. This sword as most from this period is surprisingly light to handle. Imagine this weapon being wielded from a charging 20 mph horse. It could easily remove a head or arm, crush bones and unseat an opponent.

Vic, Thats a wonderful piece.......if ever you want to give it a new home :rolleyes:

Dante:

I have always enjoyed reading about Early German smiths and Talisman blades. When this blade hit eBay, I simply could not believe it ! Thanks for your comments.

Vic

Vic.

You got this from ebay?!? That's just sick. Congrats on a beautiful early piece. Perhaps there is still hope for ebay after all.

Magnificent and thank you for sharing with us.

Kind Regards..Henry

I was finally able to get some close-ups of the Red color in the Talisman symbols. It looks to be red paint, pure and simple.

We can now document that in at least this sword from the 1590-1620 period, a North European blade was enhanced with Red Paint.

Edited by Vic Diehl