News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Help in identification

My dear cousin has donated me her late fathers old suitcase of his national service memorabilia, as she is terminally ill and knows I will treasure his belongings. He was in the Royal Signals and there 4 items I am unsure of and would like your help.

The first two items are insignias of some sort and the next 2 items are what seems to be a container with a measuring "spoon". It is 3 3/4 inches long. The lid/spoon has a seal, (I suppose to keep its contents dry, or its contents leaking?) and also what seems to be a thimble but with no 'end' on it. Could it be something used for sending morse?

Its been great looking through his old things. His Exercise books, letters from home, signal training pamphlets etc. My own father discarded all his national service stuff, whereas my uncle seems to have made off with half the barracks!

Thanks in advance.

Ivan

patches.jpg

OddKit.jpg

Thimble.jpg

Edited by Ivan

My dear cousin has donated me her late fathers old suitcase of his national service memorabilia, as she is terminally ill and knows I will treasure his belongings. He was in the Royal Signals and there 4 items I am unsure of and would like your help.

The first two items are insignias of some sort and the next 2 items are what seems to be a container with a measuring "spoon". The lid has a seal, (I suppose to keep its contents dry, or its contents leaking?) and also what seems to be a thimble but with no 'end' on it. Could it be something used for sending morse?

Its been great looking through his old things. His Exercise books, letters from home, signal training pamphlets etc. My own father discarded all his national service stuff, whereas my uncle seems to have made off with half the barracks!

Thanks in advance.

Ivan

The second cloth badge is the Yorks and Lancs Regt.

Paul

patches.jpg

OddKit.jpg

Thimble.jpg

The 1st badge is post was Eastern District, introduced in 1947, it was'nt a Royal Signals insignia as such, but Joe Lyndhurst in a book on militaria some years ago labelled it as "Eastern Command, Royal Signals".

The 2nd Badge is Catterick Garrison, introduced in 1947, in the 1960's it was Yorkshire District (the HQ was at Catterick), until 1972.

The brass tube thing is an oil bottle used with the Lee Enfield & still in use with the SLR although their bottles were plastic with just a smattering of brass bottle survivors found.

The thimble like thing is just that, a thimble.