News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Awards, decorations, orders, etc.

After reading Angolia's book on military awards, I came away not very clear on the distinction between awards and decorations, and how they should be worn. For example, as I understand it, there is no EKI on the ribbon bar, because decorations do not go on the ribbon bar. So, I assume that means that the EKII is an award rather than a decoration? How is one to know these subtle differences? Is there a reference which clearly lists orders, decorations, awards, qualification badges, etc.?

Regards,

Kevin

Edited by norwest78

Good morning Kevin

I understand your confusion.

An Order is an institution, derived from the medieval monastic or secular orders of knighthood. Although originally closed fraternities, modern orders are honorific, having generally been created by a sovereign or head of state to reward meritorious service. An order is generally the highest honour a citizen may receive for a career or service of great distinction in the services of one's country.

A Decoration is an award conferred by a sovereign or national government for heroism, meritorious achievement or distinguished service. Decorations do not normally denote membership and are awarded for specific categories or types or service, civil or military, by an individual.

A Medal is an award given by a sovereign or national government to recognize the recipient's participation in a military campaign or other significant event and is usually award to all who participated in the event. Medals are also given to recognize long periods of service in the military or government.

If remember correctly? the prescribed method of wear for each award is mentioned in the ?Angolia?s? set of works on the subject.

In the case of Luftwaffe qualification badges: if the Iron cross 1st class was held by an individual, any qualification badge or other awards had to be placed below the cross on the left breast pocket.

The Iron Cross series (2nd, 1st and DKiG/S), I believe, are considered as decorations and the Knight's Cross series as orders.

As to the question of the prescribed method of wear for the Iron Cross 2nd class...being a decoration with ribbon, regulations state that the cross be worn on a formal parade mounted bar. Other than that, and for normal wear, only the ribbon was worn as either part of a ribbon bar or from the second button hole of the tunic.

I've seen list of Orders, Decorations and Medals compiled in order of importance, somewhere. I'll see if I can dig it out.