News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bulgaria - on water

Also found in my box 3 badges related to sailing. I think these were not very common, as the sea fleet is small and the river fleet even smaller.

First, a badge of the institution Bulgarian River Sailing - Russe /on the Danube/

Edited by Theodor

This one is just a badge for the ship Radetzky. The ship has a significant historical role - the group of rebellions led by Hristo Botev landed from it in 1876, to fight against the Ottomans. It was an Austro-Hungarian ship on the Danube. The Austrians offered it to several Bulgarian governments, but found no interest! It was retired, but still kept for years, waiting for reaction from Bulgaria... Some public organizations tried to raise funds and get it, but not successful. Finally it was scrapped in 1924. For the event of 90 years of Botev's exploit, the schoolkids of Bulgaria gathered money and a Hungarian river tugboat was reconstructed into something quite similar to the original Radetzky. I do not know about this badge - if it was given to those who donated, or to anyone.