News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Medal ID assistance, please?

Here's a cased medal which I picked-up in a shop in Arras, France last month while visiting the nearby Vimy Memorial. I have searched in vain to determine what it represents. Could someone please assist with an identification?

Thanks and regards,

John

Hallo John, :beer:

Your medal is from Belgium, not France,

its the; The Civil Decoration 1940-1945, third Class in Bronze.

you can check out fellow GMIC member

Hendrick's website on Belgian medals at

http://users.skynet.be/hendrik/startpage.html

Your medal is featured at:

http://users.skynet.be/hendrik/eng/B2-CivDec.html

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Thanks, Kevin. Much appreciated. Knowing that this is a Belgian decoration and not French is has allowed me to search under the correct country! I have noted Hendrik's website for future reference.

Interesting that my edition of Vernon's Guide lists this as being the 5th class medal, whereas Hendrick's site refers to it as being the 3rd class of this decoration. There are, indeed, five classes which include two crosses and three medals.

Perhaps Hendrik or someone can verify the correct terminology/class of this medal, ie. 3rd or 5th class?

John

Edited by John Burchell

Hi John,

The distinguishing features are:

1st class - Gold Cross

2nd class - Silver Cross

3rd class - Gold Medal

4th class - Silver Medal

5th class - Bronze Medal

All classes have a 1940-1945 ribbon bar in the metal of their grade.

The 5th class is the 3rd class Medal if seperated from the crosses. So both are technically correct.

Civil Decoration 1940-1945 5th class, or 3rd class Civil Decoration Medal 1940-1945

Regards Eddie

Edited by Taz

Hi Eddie & John,

Eddie : couldn't have put it any better myself :cheers:

In this small country of Belgium we do separate our crosses from our medals :P

Bearing in mind though that in orders "we" usually don't even mention numbered classes but refer to them as bronze, silver, gold medals and then knight, officer, commander, grand officer and grand cross of whatever order, I think the best name to use would be "Civil Decoration 1940-1945 Bronze Medal" ... Damn, I'd better check how I mentioned that on my website - I probably goofed up there ! :unsure:

Cheers,

Hendrik