News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Large numbers of German helmets

I?ve noticed a great deal of WWI German helmets on ebay recently that all have two holes punched in the side.

Do any of you know the meaning for the holes? Some type of badge fixing? Could they have been used by a 3rd world country that is now selling off its stock?

I believe the Austrians wore oak leaves or similar on the left hand side of their helmets but the holes are on the right hand side.

Here?s a link to a pile large enough for a whole troop I just saw on ebay http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Tony

Tony,

These helmets are coming out of Afganistan. They are real WWI German helmets that have had a new liner system installed and the holes on the side are for a modern badge, which apparently has been removed from all of these helmets. As you can see, quit a few of them are hitting the collecting market.

Chip

I have not been watching for them, but I did see a post on another forum that showed the interior and the badge as well. Unfortunately, there are so many forums that I can't remember where I saw it.

Chip

• 4 weeks later...
    • 3 years later...