News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Another postcard - French Buglers

Brian Wolfe

Hello everyone,

This is another post card I purchased lately. I believe it is of a group of mounted French buglars. It looks to have been in colour at one time but only traces of blue and green are left along with a few red stripes. In the lower left corner is an insignia with E and P on either side of a pair of crossed swords with 217 below. The soldiers have cap badges but even under high magnification I can not make out any design. The insignia seems to be stitched rather than being hat badges. The uniform pants and hats are blue as is the tunic on the officer and NCO at either end of the group. I think there is mention of the 72nd Btn. in the written caption on the front and I see Verdun mentioned on the back of the postcard. There is a farmer in the background looking on so I am thinking this is a photo of soldiers in training somewhere in the French countryside.

Could someone please help with the identification as well as the translations?

Many thanks for any help you can give me.

Cheers :cheers:

Brian

Guest Rick Research

EP217 is just the photographers code. Front says "les trompettes des (??) 72er Batn ? cheval Volantes.

Didn't KNOW horses could fly! :rolleyes:

Evening gentlemen,

The missing battery number is definitely "54".

Horse Artillery was labelled "flying artillery" since Napoleonic times at least in France.

As to the postcard, here's what it says in not-too-well-punctuated French :

"La (???) Mercredi

Cher Oncle

Comment vas-tu mon plaisir est de te savoir en bonne sant? Quant ? moi elle est excellente. ici il fait un vrai temps d'?t? on a du plaisir ? dresser des chevaux Car je suis dresseur depuis lundi. Tu ne pourrais inventer un truc pour me faire avoir une permission la semaine prochaine. Peut-?tre irai-je en convoi ? Verdun Car demain il y en a un mais en serai-je je voudrais bien. Fran?ois"

Roughly :

"(????) Wednesday.

Dear Uncle,

How are you doing my pleasure lies in knowing you're in good health. As to mine, it is excellent. Here there's a real summer weather and one takes pleasure in breaking horses. For I am a horse breaker since monday. Couldn't you make something up to have me be granted leave of absence next week. I may go on convoy duty to Verdun tomorrow fort there is a convoy but will I take part in it I'd like it very much. Fran?ois"

Cheers,

Jerome