News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Romanian Order of Military Merit 3rd Class for 15 Years Service

Guest Rick Research

Guest Rick Research

Kev knows why--

Though you need a magnifying glass to see the "RPR" on the pre-1966 seal. :rolleyes:

Guest Rick Research

Lovely enamel, but not sure about the metal. Thought it was "silver" (20 years) from the tarnish in the dim hall, but that's brass showing through so I guess it is the 15 years "bronze."

Four piece construction--

1) wreath

2) red enamel star

3) blue and yellow obverse disk

4) "RPR" state seal

Two rivets hold it all firmly together and I am guessing seeing these on back, you wouldn't need to squint to tell that it IS the "RPR" initials on front?

Very heavy, very nice quality-- though the overly long pin has GOT me twice in handling and is now "sheathed" with a folded piece of paper! :speechless1: :cheeky:

The 1st and 2nd classes of the RPR version are somewhat unusual. They are either RSR awards with old-type badges or awards to the few who swore allegiance to the king when entering the army and who managed to avoid the repeated purges aimed at the "blood-sucking enemies of the people". Good luck in finding them!

Guest Rick Research

:cheers: That is good to know!

I thought maybe "retroactive credit" was given for members of the "resistance."

Guest Rick Research

People like the ones who got all the Bulgarian badges we've seen: "Old Party Comrades" types who retroactively became "activists." They grumbled or told a joke in 1942, so that made them "resistance fighters."

I assumed the NEW army counted time in the Party (or would have joined, if they could have :rolleyes: ) before August 1944. Somebody who put leaflets up on walls who became an instant Major after the Soviets arrived.

Those kinds of people.

I see what you mean. After WWII there were many who were named "illegal fighters" (luptători in ilegalitate, ilegalişti etc.) for actions in the 1930s and 1940s and some of them saw rapid advance through the ranks of the party or the army, but I do not think they were automatically covered by these medals. "Rank jumping" rewarded loyalty to the system and ignored long service. Besides, I do not remember the word "resistance" being mentioned in relation to the illegal actions of the communists. It was mainly used in relation to partisan activity, but there was nothing like that in WWII Romania.