News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

German Flagpole Top Imperial or Modern?

In the late 1980s when I was stationed in Berlin I found this damaged (tip is broken off) German Flagpole Top in the trash. Being a pack rat I've hung onto it for two decades now. It looks a bit like the Imperial German Flagpole top, but I'm assuming that it's post 1945. It 10 1/4" tall by 3 3/4" wide with no marking that I can tell. The top actually screws out of the base. You can also see traces of glue on each side, near small hole, where something was attached. Anyone have an idea of what I have? Kevin

Edited by ehrentitle

Larry, Thanks for your prompt response. I was aware that Bundeswehr finials were very simular to Imperial, but there were no Bundeswehr forces in Berlin until after unification in 1990 so I think this was used for another purpose. I believe this was in the trash of the US Consulate Annex which shared the building we were in. So maybe it was used for some ceremonial purpose. I have a 1966 Taschenbuch fur Wehrausbildung that shows the Bundeswehr flag with the finial you described:

Edited by ehrentitle

I believe I figured out where it came from. Here is a display of state flags at the entrance of the Clay Building, (From: http://www.berlin-brigade.de/us-ins/us-ein1.html) HQ for the Berlin Brigade and right next door to the building I worked in. The finials all look simular to the one I have. Maybe recycled from an earlier period in German history?

clay11.jpg

Edited by ehrentitle