News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Check out this rack !

Paul L Murphy

This is one of the latest medal related poscards I purchased on my trip to Paris over Bastille Day. Apart from what appear to be four French government awards for livesaving he has 26 other awards, mainly from different "Sauvetage" organisations. At his age I am surprised he was able to carry the weight !

Enjoy :cheers:

Hallo Paul, :beer:

The Original Bling-Bling Man :lol:

Naval Type? so a chance of earning lifesaving award!

But the question would be, for me anyway,

to work out the official awards from the unofficial.

And I would have to wonder if any were self-awarded!

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Hello Paul and Kev,

I agree with Paul : the first 4 on the top row are the official ones.

The first medal appears to be the Gold class (type designed by Roty), the other three would likely be the Silver Gilt, Silver 1st and 2nd classes (type designed by Barre).

The series of "M?dailles d'Honneur pour Actes de Courage et de D?vouement" is quite complex as there are a very large number of models, types and variations that were created over the years.

Cheers,

Hendrik

Hello Paul and Kev,

I agree with Paul : the first 4 on the top row are the official ones.

The first medal appears to be the Gold class (type designed by Roty), the other three would likely be the Silver Gilt, Silver 1st and 2nd classes (type designed by Barre).

The series of "M?dailles d'Honneur pour Actes de Courage et de D?vouement" is quite complex as there are a very large number of models, types and variations that were created over the years.

Cheers,

Hendrik

The others are a combination of local life saving awards (which you often see with British Royal Humane Society Groups) and societies for people who had performed such act (there seems to have been one for every village with more than 3 people and a cow) but a wonderful photo.

Paul

Hello Paul

Indeed, a very impressive picture. The four official medals are "heavies", so he must have served with distinction for decades, probably with life-boats.

What really strikes me is the time it must have taken to attach that many medals individually. If you look carefully, you will see that the five first medals are mounted together on a slip-bar. Probably because they were "acceptable" in most of the cases (although n?5 is obviously a private initiative).

But all the others have been carefully and individually attached to the coat.... it must have taken hours to do that and meant a lot to the old salt.

The two stripes on his coat (enseigne de 1ere classe or lieutenant of the Merchant Marine) would indicate that he may have had a sailing carrier.

In any case, he must have been considered a local glory to have post-cards made (and probably sold) showing his display of "awards",

Thank you for showing this card. Quite a conversation piece !

Very best regards

Paul