News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Guest Rick Research

Would this suggest fairly early on for VIII. Armeekorps?

No St?ckel listed in "Dead Prussians," so he survived the war.

From Kraus,

"F?r die Ausbildung der Ersatzmannschaften sorgten eigene Minenwerfer-Ersatz-Bataillone. Zur Verf?gung der OHL, als Heeresreserve entstanden insgesamt 23 Minenwerfer-Bataillone:

1915: MW-Batl. I-IV

1916: MW Batl. V-VII

1917: MW Batl. VIII-XIII

1918: MW Batl. XIV-XXIII"

There is no mention of these battalions being associated with the corps that have the same Roman numeral.

Chip

Edited by Chip

Guest Rick Research

Ah. That explains why it looked odd as a frontline unit designation to me. Kind of odd to put a replacement training unit on back!( :unsure: maybe he was not overly confident about the odds even there and figured Small Pieces... :rolleyes::speechless1: )

I am not sure if these battalions made it into the field as intact units, but this marking could have been made later, when this officer had been removed from a field unit in order to train new units being raised.

Chipo

I am not sure if these battalions made it into the field as intact units, but this marking could have been made later, when this officer had been removed from a field unit in order to train new units being raised.

Chipo

Thanks one and all, a quick search and it looks like it was a Saxon unit, I will write to the Hauptstaatsarchiv and see what is available, Paul

2.3.8.5. Verb?nde und Truppenteile der S?chsischen Armee zur?ck zur ??bersicht?

13278 - Minenwerfer13278 - Minenwerfer-Bataillon Nr. VIII

Datierung: 1916 - 1919

Geschichte: Verweis: Angaben siehe 2.3.8.5 Formationen und Truppenteile der s?chsischen Armee

Bestandsinhalt: Kriegstageb?cher.

Findmittel: Findbuch / elektronisches Findmittel 2002

Guest Rick Research

Aha! SAXON!

Well, cannot say if he survived then.

There were only three SAXON "Lt" St?ckels-- all Leutnant der Reserve. Typical wartime slackness about rank suffixes.

Your man is almost certainly OTTO, who received the SA3bX on 16.12.16 as Lt dR in Minenwerfer Kompagnie 184.

Not Tom (yes, Tom) St?ckel of Gren-Res-Rgt 100, a St Henry winner who seems to have always been line infantry, or Frank (yes, Frank) who was in GR 101 with no indication of mortar assignments.

:beer:

Aha! SAXON!

Well, cannot say if he survived then.

There were only three SAXON "Lt" St?ckels-- all Leutnant der Reserve. Typical wartime slackness about rank suffixes.

Your man is almost certainly OTTO, who received the SA3bX on 16.12.16 as Lt dR in Minenwerfer Kompagnie 184.

Not Tom (yes, Tom) St?ckel of Gren-Res-Rgt 100, a St Henry winner who seems to have always been line infantry, or Frank (yes, Frank) who was in GR 101 with no indication of mortar assignments.

:beer:

Great stuff Rick....wonder if he is the German actor Otto St?ckel,(1873 - 1958)

• 5 months later...

Yes thinking about it you are right....still great to have a name and unit, thanks again, Paul

Just been speaking to a dealer who originally obtained the cross, it came from an Airborne veteran who picked it up on (1944) D-Day+4, wondered if anyone could check if Herr Stockel served in WW2, as ever thanks, Paul

I have been given the following.......

V1102278

Nachname: St?ckel

Vorname: Otto

Dienstgrad: Leutnant

Geburtsdatum: 23.07.1923

Geburtsort: Osnabr?ck

Todes-/Vermisstendatum: 13.08.1944

Todes-/Vermisstenort:

Otto St?ckel ruht auf der Kriegsgr?berst?tte in St. Desir-de-Lisieux (Frankreich) .

Endgrablage: Block 1 Reihe 48 Grab 1051

Is this the son?and was the son holding his Dads EK1? the plot thickens