News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Help please!

Luka

Hello Luka.

Thanks for posting the sword. I am not sure weather it is a commemorative piece, reproduction, or actually a dress sword from an officer of the 'Veribus Unitus". The scabbard and Handle wraps look somewhat unprofessional/homemade - not very military-esq, and indeed may be replacements from the original "shark skin or leather." you usually find on swords from WW1. The hilt is missing it's "D" guard, overall the sword is showing a lot of wear and abuse. Can you post some pictures of the blade, scabbard, and the monogram above the Austrian eagle?

The Veribus Unitus was an Austrian Dreadnaught sunk by Italian frogmen days before the Austrian and Italian governments signed a peace treaty near the end of WW1.

Hopefully some of the other GMIC members with interests in Imperial navy and swords can help you out. Either way it definitely warrants further searching.

Here is an article about the incident:

http://www.worldwar1.com/sfvu.htm

Kind Regards...Henry

Hello,

Your sword is what remains of a State Official's side-arm.

The "Viribus Unitis" words are not referring to the famous Austrian warship but they are the motto (Wahlspruch) of emperor Franz Joseph I.

Best wishes,

Enzo

Hello,

Thanks all for your replys!!!

I dont know much about it because WWI is not my interest, I taked it because it looked nice and I got it pretty cheap(I think so), I have swap it with my friend/collector ... he asked 200 ? in stuff for it, have I maked a good deal or ... :ninja:

Sorry if my English is bad :blush:

Hello Stuart,

Yes the guard is missing :( (there are visible marks that it was there).

That rapier on the picture has a few similarities with my...at least it will help me get the picture of how it looked once...

If anyone has any additional information to add...I would be grateful!