News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Here is something we do not see everyday!! KVK2 documents are common enough, but not to a firefighter of the Werkschutz! The document is signed by a General Der Flieger(can anyone recognize his signature?).

A special thanks go to Larry Strong for this one. I am indebted to you big time!! Thanks again!

Guest Rick Research

It looks like a rubber stamp from the spotting, not a signature?

Gen d Flg Ludwig Wolff (1886-1950, recipient of RK-KVKX)

• 2 weeks later...

Paul

Very nice document and indeed very rare/scarce.

Thanks for showing.

Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy! I appreciate your input! Welcome to the GMIC as well. I will make a close up of the signature tonight. I dont know if it is a stamp or not.

Regards

Paul

Paul

Rick's correct, the signature is stamped. Asking what factories were located in luftgau.XI is a bit of a tall order. As this is an immediate award rather than one of the time served good boy awards given out on the 30 Jan, 20 Apr or 1 Sep we could speculate that he performed some duty, perhaps fighting fires from a bombing raid, within a few weeks of the award date. I think the best you could do would be to look at what bombing raids occured within the luftgau and you might be able to come up with a shortlist.

I've had a quick look in Middlebrook's 'bomber command war diaries' and ironically it seems the only major raid carried out by RAF bomber command within luftgau XI from the begining of august up to the date of the award just happens to have been during the night of 22/23 Sept. on Hannover. 711 aircraft including 5 American B-17s unusually for them operating at night. 26 aircraft lost.

Edited by Simon Orchard

I've had a quick look in Middlebrook's 'bomber command war diaries' and ironically it seems the only major raid carried out by RAF bomber command within luftgau XI from the begining of august up to the date of the award just happens to have been during the night of 22/23 Sept. on Hannover. 711 aircraft including 5 American B-17s unusually for them operating at night. 26 aircraft lost.

Thank you for the great information. How would I go about exploring deeper into that raid to find which facilities were impacted(great pun, huh? lol)?

Guest Rick Research

There is always SOME time delay in processing such awards-- the longer the further down the chain the recipient was (factory civil defense guard) from the issuing authority (commander of air force "Gau").

This could have been for that summer's fire storm raids... or anything.

These awards were actually rationed out to civilians-- quite a difference from mid-level desk riding military retreads getting one automatically for 2 years of paper pushing.

A civilian might have had to wait for a turn.

Look at my Sprungmann group:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtop...st&p=258714

Sprungmann was given the major personal credit for saving the Reichsbank building during the fire storm air raids on Hamburg but, whoopsy hey... "we just gave you a KVK2X so hearty handshake and here's a letter from Walther Funk instead/keep up the good work..."

Now he was aa bit further up the feeding chain-- about the same as a civil service Captain, probably-- and yet it took until 30 September to get HIS nice little hearty handhsake letter for insane heroism (on the roof of a burning building as the city literally melted) 24-28 July.

It's not unreasonable to suppose the factory guard might have had to wait just as long to be "prioritized." We'll never know without a nice little write up in his local paper....

ANY KVK2X to a civilian is very likely the equivalent, in real terms, of an EK1 to a frontline soldier.