News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Italy - 1928 model Sun Helmet

This Italian Model 1928 sun helmet features the badge and feathers of the 8th Bersaglieri. In February 1941 the 8th Bersaglieri regiment landed at Tripoli and were incorporated into the Ariete Armoured Division. The XX Motorised Corps working in support of the 132nd Tank regiment were the most active and well known heavy armored unit in the Italian Army.

italian_m28_b_big1.jpg

italian_m28_b_big2.jpg

• 3 months later...
    • 2 weeks later...

"Coraggio fuggiamo" .... and the Bersaglieri would do it at a trot!

What do you want to mean with this affirmation ? May be that the Bersaglieri are a group of Cowards ??

Let me know so that I can propely answer your st...d comment !

Edited by lilo

Dear Lilo,

It is simply a combination of the fact that the Bersaglieri tend to trot/jog rather than march coupled with an older saying frequently applied by the allies to the Italians in WW2 - "Coraggio Fuggiamo". There was no more to the comment than some light humour intent based on the above two points and no offence was meant . I hope that this clarifies.

I have no intention of entering into the argument of Italian courage during the war - Like many others, such an exercise would be futile and I prefer to let history be the judge.

Regards,

Jim

Guest Rick Research

Grow up.

I suspect that these, like the German sun helmets that appeared from a never issued German horde in 1968-69, were probably warehoused somewhere en masse.

I can't recall ever seeing photos of these in wear during the North African fighting-- not even with the :speechless1: insignia removed. The completeness of this one, feathers and all, suggests it was considered part of tropical full dress and wouldn't have been the sort of thing the battalion luggage handlers dragged around in the field.

Anybody seen photos of these actually being worn from 1941-43? :beer: