News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Pour le Merite question

Was visiting the Panzermuseum in Munster this weekend and (besides all the tanks, WW2 uniforms, orders/medals, Rommel death mask, Marshal staff of General von Kluge, etc. etc. etc.) there was also a tableu with range of older awards. One thing caught my eye and left me wondering:

- is it known which foreigners won a PlM?

- what is a "sovereign"?

Edit: interesting, didn't strike me until after rereading my own post... 1 "Kaiser" also got one:)

Edited by Bob

Guest Rick Research

All the recipients of the Pour le Merite are known. The WW1 foreign rulers were

The Emperors Franz Joseph and Karl and Tsars Ferdinand and Boris.

The German Kings and rulers also got these as dunsatic courtesies in the general trading around of "you give me yours and I'll give you mine."

The foreigners were almost entirely senior Generals-- Enver and Djemal in the Ottoman forces, Jekov and Todorov in the Bulgarian army, and 11 Austrian Generals 3 of whom were Archdukes.

The only "normal" foreigner was Austro-Hungarian Oberstleutnant Rudolph Popelka, commander of their Inf Rgt 5 (11.10.18 !).

The little museum sign has counted the 4 foreign rulers twice-- as rulers, and as foreigners (16/4 not 20/4).