News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

REPRO FROM TOP GERMAN DEALER

Hi, I think the glue is possible on old shoulder-boards - especially by the colors red (sometimes also in yellow).

See my example - both are old shoulder-boards, the red Chiffre on the right side glows the other not! :rolleyes:

Don't worry - but wait what the others think about!

Best regards, :cheers:

Jens

Hi all, just received this shoulder board in the post from one of Germany's top militaria dealers - and it is a fake. The top/ as with the botton has been glued to a thin white card. Have spoken to the dealer and posted back - and want my refund. Has you can see from the photo - it looked good enough.

JJ are you sure here are mine.......not sure why someone would copy Artillery and Number 2 ?

Guys I can see where you are comming from. And as a service to other collectors.

1. The insignia can be applicaded, sometimes stiched as well, with period items - even stensilling is some times used.

However,

When I said top was glued. I ment that the top half of the shoulder board has been glued to a modern day glossie piece of card core - as was the base.

Yes the embroidery looks good on my former FAKE shoulder board - even the bit of dirt. But this were made yesterday.

There are a lot of imperial german fAKES around in partarticular the M15 EM flyers. I have even found the site/ company that makes these. And guess what it keeps changing its web site and popping up again and again.

JJ, I have in my collection a number of unmade pieces....I still think yours is possibly still ok but clearly finished of to deceive, have you blacklighted it, also would be handy to let us know who you think made them

Edited by dante

I have to agree that this piece looks perfectly legitimate from the front. Based on the description, I would have to go along with the theory that it is an original piece that was unfinished and then "completed" by someone who didn't have much of an idea of what they were trying to do. Anything is possilbe, but I would not count this piece out as being completely fake until I blacklighted it.

I have never seen a repro M15 Flieger enlisted strap. I have seen tons of the "simplified" M07/10 unpiped examples. Fortunately, they are all the same and rather poorly made with crappy hand sewn button holes, off-color feldgrau wool and red insignia made from modern thread that melts. I have never discovered exactly where they are coming from. This version is part of a whole series of fakes (mostly cyphered regimental straps and examples with letters, like "LM, SM, etc.") I have seen some of these in the most comprehensive collections, especially the "L" Luftshiffer examples. They have been around for at least twenty years.

There are other fakes that are much better and would fool all but the most advanced collector.

Regards,

Chip

P.S. Dante, your red straps with the black "2" are not German military examples in my opinion. I would think they are from some other European country. As far as I know, no German strap ever had black unit numbers (with the exception of some special wartime artillery units).

Edited by Chip

I have to agree that this piece looks perfectly legitimate from the front. Based on the description, I would have to go along with the theory that it is an original piece that was unfinished and then "completed" by someone who didn't have much of an idea of what they were trying to do. Anything is possilbe, but I would not count this piece out as being completely fake until I blacklighted it.

I have never seen a repro M15 Flieger enlisted strap. I have seen tons of the "simplified" M07/10 unpiped examples. Fortunately, they are all the same and rather poorly made with crappy hand sewn button holes, off-color feldgrau wool and red insignia made from modern thread that melts. I have never discovered exactly where they are coming from. This version is part of a whole series of fakes (mostly cyphered regimental straps and examples with letters, like "LM, SM, etc.") I have seen some of these in the most comprehensive collections, especially the "L" Luftshiffer examples. They have been around for at least twenty years.

There are other fakes that are much better and would fool all but the most advanced collector.

Regards,

Chip

P.S. Dante, your red straps with the black "2" are not German military examples in my opinion. I would think they are from some other European country. As far as I know, no German strap ever had black unit numbers (with the exception of some special wartime artillery units).

Chip, They are Blue.......... :cheers:

I agree with Chip, it looks like an original private purchased baord, but someone has glued it over paper.

For some good example, have a look at a quick and dirty guide to imperial straps on this forum thread, 4th post down with the photos.

http://pickelhaubes.com/forum/viewtopic.ph...highlight=strap

And for fun, a comparison of infantry regiment 92 baords

http://pickelhaubes.com/forum/viewtopic.ph...highlight=strap

Well, OK, even if the numbers are dark blue....they are too large, the shape of the top of the strap is not typical for issue German shoulder straps, the button holes are too long and the stiching on them is atypical. Finally, it is very unusual for German prewar straps to be finished on the bottom (stitched horizontally across the bottom). These straps for the Dunkelblau tunic were sewn into the shoulder seam, so there was no reason to waste the thread.

I think the links to Tony's (Kaiser's Bunker) strap photos suffice in showing what I mean.

Best regards,

Chip