News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

ROYAL AUSTRALIAN AIRFORCE MEDAL ENTITLEMENTS

Hi

I've recently bought a WW2 Australian Airforce group. The group consists of a Pacific Star, 1939-45 war medal and Australia Service medal, the group is contemporarily mounted and doesn't appear to have a 1939-45 star. Does anybody know why this may be, i've been told that he may well have been a P.O.W.

Any information would be appreciated.

Regards

Graham

Hi

I've recently bought a WW2 Australian Airforce group. The group consists of a Pacific Star, 1939-45 war medal and Australia Service medal, the group is contemporarily mounted and doesn't appear to have a 1939-45 star. Does anybody know why this may be, i've been told that he may well have been a P.O.W.

Any information would be appreciated.

Regards

Graham

The recipient must have joined late in the war, and done less than six months of service. Seems doughtful, though not impossible, taht they would have been a POW at that stage of the war.

The 1939-45 Star was awarded for a period of six months (180 days) operational service for RAN and Army personnel and RAAF non-air crew personnel and two months operational service for air crew personnel during the period from 3 September 1939 until 2 September 1945.

Link: http://www.defence.gov.au/MEDALS/Content/+...39-1945%20Star/

Regards,

Johnsy

I'm confused already just thinking about WWII Stars.

I'm going to post scans of the qualification requirements for all the WWII Stars (when I find the software for my scanner again).

Two months service for the 1939 - 45 Star was all that was required in certain circumstances:

1946 Appendix re awards of Stars etc -

Changes in Time Qualifications for the Campaign Stars.

4. ......it is evident that in relation to service on land and in the air the requirement that, for the award of the other Stars, the 1939-45 Star must first be earned by six or two months previous operational service, has produced a number of hard cases. The fact that there is a one day rule for the Africa Star has also given rise to some noticable inequalities of treatment as between the earning of this Star and the others. The following changes have therefore been approved:....

(ii). The 1939-45 Star must be earned by six, or for air crew two, months service in operations before a candidate can begin to qualify for the Atlantic Star. (See also certain modifications of this rule in the sub-paragraphs below).

The 1939-45 Star.

(vi). General -

(a) Operational service for a lesser period than six and two months respectively, but brought to an end by death, wounds or other disability due to service qualifies. The grant for service in operations, of an Honour, Decoration or Mention in Despatches or King's Commendation is, in the armed Forces or the Merchant Navy, a qualification for the award of the Star.

(b). Those who receive the 1939-45 Star for service of less than six or two months in operations will be required to complete an aggregate of six or two months operational service in any theatre or theatres before beginning to count service for the Atlantic Star or:the Air Crew Europe Star. In the Navy, and Merchant Navy, for the Pacific, Burma, or Italy Stars, a prior six months operational service is required. (See also certain modifications of these conditions described in the text below relating to particular Stars).

"(iv) Air Force - (a) The 1939 - 45 Star is awarded to all air crew who have taken part in operations against the enemy, subject to the completion of two months in an operational unit"

"(b)Air crew service in operations against the enemy between the 8th May, 1945, and the 2nd September, 1945, in the area described in sub-paragraph (iii) (b) above will qualify, subject to completion of two months in an operational unit"

" In addition, non-air crew personnel serving in the area of an Army operational command will qualify, six months service in the area of the operational command being the qualification, and special exception being made for those evacuated, e.g., from Dunkirk, Norway, &c., as for the Army above".

(d)Non-air crew personnel serving afloat qualify under the same conditions as members of the Navy and Merchant Navy".

(vi) General - (a) "Operational service for a lesser period than six and 2 months repectively, but bought to an end by death, wounds or other disability due to service qualifies"

Edited by leigh kitchen

Hi Johnsy,leigh kitchen, jeff

Thanks for the information, i've been in touch with the Australian National Archives, and i bought a copy of his papers. I've also done some research and found that he enlisted in 1942, and finished his War as a member of 2 Squadron RAAF. I believe that it wasn't unusual for some Australian personnel to not be issued 1939-45 stars, in fact any surviving WW2 veterens today can claim one.I've also realised that his Pacific Star isn't named, i believe that it should be, does anybody know why this is. I believe that it wasn't unusual for Royal Australian Navy personnel to be issued un-named stars, could it possibly be the same for the RAAF.

Interestingly i've managed to purchase his original dog tag, and his numbered Returned From Active Service Badge.

Cheers

Graham