News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Recently won this on a local auction, its on the way as we speak, I purchased it for the sum of the bits ie for what each of the medals is worth, wondered if anyone has any thoughts on this photo alone, will of course furnish photos when the piece arrives...cheers, Paul

Hallo Dante :beer:

Is the correct interpretation of the name ( Verdienstkreuz f?r Kriegshilfe 1916 - 1924)

not

War Service Help Cross??

This Cross I believe was conferred on civilians as well.

Kevin in Deva

Kev, yes you are rght...but ofen simplefied to Prussian War Service Cross.

Nice bar - looks minty-fresh. I'd give it the once over with a black light when you get it. Any phots of the reverse?

yes it does look new, hence my bid was for what it was worth stripped, no photos yet but will post in the next few days, I bid on it because the group made sense for a non combatant and it would be unusual for anyone to "fake" a bar like this....leap of faith

Edited by dante

Guest Rick Research

"Kriegshilfsdienst" doesn't easily translate into anything in English, but given the range of services that cross recognized, I always translate it as the Prussian War Effort Cross.

Does indeed look minty fresh-- but then they SHOULD, what with only being worn ? 3 hours a year maybe. Carefully tended and stored a fancy dress bar SHOULD be minty fresh. There's nothing sadder than a ratty, dirty, stained one that the wearer would NEVER have worn in bad condition.

Flash a blacklight over the ribbons, but I agree the combination is consistent with a senior Petty Officer/NCO clerical type NOT the usual Super Hero of fakers' choice,and in perfect order.

Hello Dante:

All of the awards seem fine. It looks to me though as though the EK ribbon is probably of modern stock. I also see a bit of cotton? padding sticking out on the right side of the EK ribbon.

My guess is that someone "upgraded" this from a standard EK bar to a non-combatant bar. But, the only way to tell for certain is to have it in hand.

Best of luck with this.

"SPM"

Hello Dante:

All of the awards seem fine. It looks to me though as though the EK ribbon is probably of modern stock. I also see a bit of cotton? padding sticking out on the right side of the EK ribbon.

My guess is that someone "upgraded" this from a standard EK bar to a non-combatant bar. But, the only way to tell for certain is to have it in hand.

Best of luck with this.

"SPM"

Thanks one and all....should have them tomorrow or the next day.....

• 2 weeks later...

This bar looks good (although the cotton is weird). I doubt that it was a Combatant EK redressed with a NonCom ribbon. This combo, but with Black/White ribbon, would be a pretty unlikely bar. Is the EK tied down?

Edited by Brian R

This bar looks good (although the cotton is weird). I doubt that it was a Combatant EK redressed with a NonCom ribbon. This combo, but with Black/White ribbon, would be a pretty unlikely bar. Is the EK tied down?

Cheers Brian The EK is not tied down :cheers:

Edited by dante