News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Red Military Service Cross

Scott

...and this one came with a bonus: the original box. It's the usual cardboard box with paper hinge; it's brown with gold dots, a light tan interior with wax-paper 'padding'. The interior lid has the standard Egana mark. Nothing on the cross, ribbon, or box glows under UV light.

Edited by Scott

Thank you Nesredep. In studying these I've noticed two variations on the design under the enamel of the arms: the "fan" design, and the "diamond" design (see photo examples below). The one I've posted has the 'fan' design on the arms. I don't think I've ever seen a period German medal bar with a Red Cross of the 'diamond' design. I'd love to be proven wrong. Also, does anyone have an award document for the Red Military Cross? I've searched the forum but couldn't find an example.

Thanks! :cheers:

Edited by Scott

Jacques has posted award documents to Germans... someplace. They are VERY nice.

I found an example of the standard large Spanish award document for the White Military Service Cross, but not for the Red.

OK, For the beginners among us, what's the significance of UV light in this context?

Hugh

Hugh,

Actually, UV light (or 'black' light) is not all that significant here -- I added the remark in case someone was curious about it. Some collectors feel it is THE test to tell WWII-period items from post-war items when phosphates (causing the bright 'glow' under UV light) became more common in textile manufacturing. However, phosephates were in limited use as far back as WWI.

Edited by Scott

Hugh,

Actually, UV light (or 'black' light) is not all that significant here -- I added the remark in case someone was curious about it. Some collectors feel it is THE test to tell WWII-period items from post-war items when phosphates (causing the bright 'glow' under UV light) became more common in textile manufacturing. However, phosephates were in limited use as far back as WWI.

Aha! Thanks for the enlightment! (Couldn't resist)

Hugh

Hi Jacques,

nice award (better than mine).

Why don't have the oval stamp? It is normal? In mine award (only 3 for different medal) there is in all.

Thanks, IP

Hi,

I can't explain. I have another document from the same group for the "Medalla de la campana" which is stamped.

I observed that not all the documents are stamped.

jacques

• 1 month later...