News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Question about a badge

mummytrol

Well, I think I know what it is. I just don't know what it commemorates and that would make it a lot more interesting.

It's a jeton. A token often worn hooked through a uniform jacket or dress buttonhole. They usually commemorated or celebrated something. Often an anniversary, graduation or celebration. They are very collectible.

As for yours, I think the letters are G. R. V. and are probably the wearer's initials. The date is Nov, 12, 1911. At the top it looks like a II and the letter G but I don't know what the second letter is or may stand for. It looks kind of like a lower-case "ch" to me.

I don't associate the date with anything in particular and it looks purpose-made, so probably ordered to celebrate an event that was significant to the donor or wearer. Is there anything on the other side? Is there any context to the badge, like a family history?

The small stamps are proof and maker's stamps.

Someone else will probably chip in with something better than this but it's a start.

Well, I think I know what it is. I just don't know what it commemorates and that would make it a lot more interesting.

It's a jeton. A token often worn hooked through a uniform jacket or dress buttonhole. They usually commemorated or celebrated something. Often an anniversary, graduation or celebration. They are very collectible.

As for yours, I think the letters are G. R. V. and are probably the wearer's initials. The date is Nov, 12, 1911. At the top it looks like a II and the letter G but I don't know what the second letter is or may stand for. It looks kind of like a lower-case "ch" to me.

I don't associate the date with anything in particular and it looks purpose-made, so probably ordered to celebrate an event that was significant to the donor or wearer. Is there anything on the other side? Is there any context to the badge, like a family history?

The small stamps are proof and maker's stamps.

Someone else will probably chip in with something better than this but it's a start.

Hello, dear friend! Thank you very much for your answer. This jeton came with the bunch of russian medals and tokens, mainly commemorative. There was one prussian medal- red eagle medal, you can see it on german section of this forum. There is nothing on the back of this jeton. Unfortunately I do not know their history, and I sold some of them due to lack of money, maybe it's a mistake. Thank you. Mummytrol:).

Can it defined what the makers stamps hallmarks are?

this might give some indication as to where it came from,

I read recently somewhere, that the upper-class in Imperial Russia,

were very fond of using the French language

and utilizing French versions of their names, instead of using Cyrillic characters.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

:cheers:

Can it defined what the makers stamps hallmarks are?

this might give some indication as to where it came from,

I read recently somewhere, that the upper-class in Imperial Russia,

were very fond of using the French language

and utilizing French versions of their names, instead of using Cyrillic characters.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Hello, dear friend! Here is a picture.