News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Mystery Item With RN Connections.

Guest Rick Research

Looks like some sort of attachment for a long-rotted away watch fob sort of personal pocket item?

PS The match is not original. :rolleyes:

Thank you, from the photo I was wonderng if the item was made of bakelite & twisted wire - an electrical item, although my friend had said that he wondered if it was from a uniform, so perhaps the remains of a bullion epaulette fitting of some kind.

An unexpectedly swift identification.

Sailors, a dodgy lot but I refrain from further comment as I may want to come here again. Or walk along the waterfront in safety

Thank you, from the photo I was wonderng if the item was made of bakelite & twisted wire - an electrical item, although my friend had said that he wondered if it was from a uniform, so perhaps the remains of a bullion epaulette fitting of some kind.

An unexpectedly swift identification.

Sailors, a dodgy lot but I refrain from further comment as I may want to come here again. Or walk along the waterfront in safety

Concur with dodgy :unsure: , you are welcome to Plymouth anytime :rolleyes:

:cheers:

Some interesting info here.

http://www.thefreemason.com/cnm/templates/...05&zoneid=3

Most Military Lodges were ones holding a warrant known as a "travelling" or "ambulatory" warrant permitting meetings to be held under proper conditions wherever the Regiment or Unit happened to be stationed, whether that posting was temporary or not. Membership of a Military Lodge was primarily restricted to members of the same Regiment or Unit, and the consent of the Commanding Officer was essential before a lodge could be formed.

Warrants were normally issued to an officer, in most cases the Commanding Officer, and were carried by the unit at all times. The warrant, records and regalia were usually carried in a portable chest. The Grand Lodges of both England and Ireland would not permit Military Lodges (quote) "on any pretence to initiate into Masonry any inhabitant or sojourner in any town or place at which the Unit is stationed or passing through" (unquote).

And

In the same year the G.L. of England issued its first military warrant to the 57th British Foot Regiment. By 1813 there were 141 English Military Lodges (116 under the Antients and 25 under the Moderns) while 190 were granted by the G.L. of Ireland and 21 by the G.L. of Scotland. The Royal Navy had 3 lodges warranted to ships, HMS Vanguard in 1760 (became a shore/stationary lodge in 1768 and is now London Lodge #108) and HMS Prince and HMS Canceaux in 1762.

Edited by Simon F

• 4 weeks later...