News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Looking for some help gentlemen,

I recently came across a well aged, black leather coat for sale that is supposably a U-Boot member's. (I appologize for not having photos). It is well aged and all together with no real damage. It is double breasted with the German Navy "anchor emblem" buttons. It is of the collared type (I believe machinists wore the collarless ?) with wool lining similar to that of a German army blanket issue of the time. I do believe it is original.

The trip up for me is that it is black. I've seen repoductions in black. But have never seen any photos of an actual black leather jacket being worn by a member of a U-Boot crew. I believe all the U-Boot crews wore grey leather coats of similar above description.

Is there any way to tell if a coat is indeed specificly of U-Boot origin? It stands to reason that the navy might have had similar equipment and used it as such.

Thank you for your time in this. (A buyer on the fence) - Jesse

Edited by Jesse

There was no difference between the leather jackets worn by surface crews and those worn by U-Boats, except for the fact that U-Boat crews predominantly ( but not exclusively) wore grey. I doubt if it would be possible to establish conclusively that the jacket you mention is from a U-Boat crewman, but it could be. Much more likely that a black version belonged to a crew member of a surface vessel.

Gordon,

Thanks much for the relply. I'm new to the use of forums and I'll be consistantly using and contributing now.

About the U-Boot coat. Have you heard of an "acceptance stamp" used on U-Boot crews? Supposably it is a large "M" above an eagle, similar to the waffenamp I think. I've seen this on a reproduiction stamped in the center of the coat close to the buttons.

The coat initally mentioned for sale cost $450 U.S. dollars. I think it is a good fair price. I'd like to hear other opinions on it as well though. I'll be sure to post photos of the coat if it is purchased.

Thanks all - Jesse

Hi Jesse,

The stamp you mention (eagle and swastika over an "M" - the M stands for "Marine", or Navy) is the normal naval stamp, and again was used throughout the navy - not exclusively for U-Boats.

The grey leather versions have been heavily reproduced (i.e. for the film Das Boot exact replicas were made). Orginals are not all that rare however. In the U-Boot Archive in Germany they have a whole stack of them that have been donated by former U-Boat men.

I haven't seen fakes of the black version so the one you mention is in all proibability a good one. Real ones should be easy enough to tell though, being leather it should be clear enough whether it really does show 60+ years of wear and tear.