News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Azad Kashimir Regiment badge

Brian Wolfe

Hello Everyone,

I just got this piece in from Islamabad this week and wanted to show it off here. I believe this is a display badge for the Azad Kashmir Regiment as it seems too large at 55 mm wide X 72 mm tall for a cap badge. It is also quite heavy and from what I can see is a solid casting. It is mounted on a round piece of plexi glass for display.

The Azad Kashmir Regiment is unique in that it raised itself during the Indo/Pakistani War and defended their territory against a greater number of better armed advisories (the Indian Army). After the war Pakistan gave the regiment formal status thereby making it a part of the Pakistan Army. You should check out the internet for more information on this interesting unit. This is a far as I will take the history as it could turn political and I have friends in both countries so I want to remain neutral.

One of the things I like about this badge is that the maple leaf is also the emblem of my country, Canada (in case there is anyone who is not aware of this).

I hope you like my new addition to my Pakistan collection.

Regards

Brian

Hello Everyone,

I just got this piece in from Islamabad this week and wanted to show it off here. I believe this is a display badge for the Azad Kashmir Regiment as it seems too large at 55 mm wide X 72 mm tall for a cap badge. It is also quite heavy and from what I can see is a solid casting. It is mounted on a round piece of plexi glass for display.

The Azad Kashmir Regiment is unique in that it raised itself during the Indo/Pakistani War and defended their territory against a greater number of better armed advisories (the Indian Army). After the war Pakistan gave the regiment formal status thereby making it a part of the Pakistan Army. You should check out the internet for more information on this interesting unit. This is a far as I will take the history as it could turn political and I have friends in both countries so I want to remain neutral.

One of the things I like about this badge is that the maple leaf is also the emblem of my country, Canada (in case there is anyone who is not aware of this).

I hope you like my new addition to my Pakistan collection.

Regards

Brian

With greatest respect to our Canadian friends, I suspect the leaf is not a maple. There is another tree often used in heraldry of the region. I think the name is chinar, but I'm not at all sure. I suspect someone with more recent connections to the region will enlighten us.

Hugh

Edited by Hugh

Yes, a chinar, as used on the J&K clasp on the Indian GSM 1947 and on the J&K clasin to the Sainya Seva Medal. I think this is the Platanus orientalis.

But that doesn't mean you should like it any the less, Brian.

But that doesn't mean you should like it any the less, Brian.

Hi Hugh,

Indeed, I do like it as well. The fellow I purchased this from identified it as maple. He was probably trying to relate it to something I would recognize.

Thanks for everyone's comments.

Regards

Brian

Yes, a chinar, as used on the J&K clasp on the Indian GSM 1947 and on the J&K clasp to the Sainya Seva Medal. I think this is the Platanus orientalis.

Hi Ed,

I guess there is just a resemblance to the Acer and no family connection. I stand corrected.

Regards

Brian