News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Post card made of tree bark

Okay sports fans, I'm pretty happy with this one. The Germans sent some postcards that were made from tree bark. I am not sure what kind of tree. These were pretty brittle and not that many survived. They were self designed, and not entirely rectangular. This one is nothing special, but it is one! This is from RJR 83.

treebark0001.jpg

treebark0002.jpg

Guest Rick Research

That's birch bark. Peels easily and also makes canoes--though I'd hate to ride in one! :speechless1:

I have RIR 83's WW1 regimental history, but it was one of the less well written "cheapo" versions, so I can't tell you whether Gefreiter Sammermeyer survived the war.

Yes, at least among US civilians (sorry for twice violating forum standards) in the first decade of the 20th century, such birch-bark post cards were pretty common. I havs stacks of such fragile things among the family detritus that has settled upon me.

A fashion stament of the time?

Guest Rick Research

I've got a shaggy tree barked one around someplace also from the Russian front, which I cannot put my hands on here in the Addams Family mansion. :banger:

The really amazing thing is that Postal Minions not only delivered these, but delivered them intact.

Unthinkable in the 21st century.

"Progress."

Guest Rick Research

Ha. Found it! In the natural history corridor next to the stuffed owls. :speechless:

This Easter 1915 greetings from Russia must have been simply included inside a larger Feldpost package since there are no stamps-- and no address for that matter.

Yours is MUCH nicer. :cheers:

I've been :unsure: for this for about 5 years... brain turning to mush. Inventory system breaking down under all the clutter.... :rolleyes:

We used to have quite a few birch trees around here until developers sliced them all down for Country Living.

The outer bark peels off by itself every spring and is quite thin at that stage. Often used for paper "as is" around here in the old days-- that is what yours looks like.

The bumpy bits like mine could be pried off thicker, but even small childish fingers could do so. (The wood when it rots is very similar to chunk tuna fish.) The trees would bleed clear sap like water (tasted like water too) but the bark would grow back over again. I remember it as being non-sticky and very supple when fresh, so presumably if it was flattened in something and left long enough to dry flat (otherwise it rolled right up like cigars) that was how these things were mailed.

Thank You for all the information and replies! There may well have been stacks of these but I'm quite pleased to own one. I think Rick hit it on the nose the fact that these survived intact is pretty amazing. While Rick's looks more substantial mine is more like the paper that was described. Never had one before. :cheers:

Guest Rick Research

Though mine is "woodier" looking, the texture actually remains more like stiff leather.

:unsure: I suspect if these were dampened they'd go back to "fresh." :speechless1:

• 6 years later...