News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Herr Hauptmann's ribbon bar

As ribbon bar's are in the spotlight just now i've got this one to ask you all about.

The Herr Hauptmann pictured was as member of the 6 Geb.Div. around 1940, I'm assuming he and some of his ribbons are Austrian. I think the swords ribbon is an ehrenkreuz and of course he has an EKII but any more than that and i'm lost... :speechless:

His name was Vilus or Dilus or something similar.

Guest Rick Research

Yup-- two generic bravery ribbons, Troop Cross, what is probably the 1918 Karl Wound Medal (can't be sure of stripes indicating how many wounds--1, maybe), HCX, maybe the Tyrol WW1, and a Sudetenland Medal 1938 or 1939 if he was only at the "Prague" stage but hadn't gotten a medal earlier to qualify for it AND a bar.

Guest Rick Research

Yup, two different classes of WW1 Bravery Medal (most likely since no Xs on the ribbons)-- Gold, Large Silver, Small Silver, and Bronze being the options (Franz Joseph and or Karl issues).

That's a TWO wound Karl Medal and I think it's a one wound on the ribbon bar, but that's the medal. :beer:

I am guessing at the Tyrol as second last from position and rough proportion of what shows-- the red middle, green stripes often getting lost in this kind of white fuzz. That MIGHT be a 1938 Austrian Anschluss medal instead, but I'm inclined towards the Tyrol. It'd be easier to tell straight on instead of at the side angle he's at in the photo.