News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

POST YOUR EM TURKISH BUCKLES TO TEST A THEORY

jj08

• 4 weeks later...

Attached is my poor effort! to illustrate the difference between script on Version 1 and Version 2 of the M1908 Turkish EM's buckles.

Having now reviewed the buckles available for display in the Australian War Memorial and the Imperial War Museum I think we can assume that Version 1 is the early type (there seem to be fewer of these about), and that version 2 is closer to being part of the massive wartime expansion of the Turkish army. Were we see more home made uniforms, and more crude examples of standard Turkish army issue equipment in use. I suspect as well, that the buckle text may also represent a style change in writing where the Turkish army is making a statement about being a different from the Old Ottoman court, and given that that the Army was under the rule of the Young 'Turk' Movement, this makes some sence.

Hello,

It has nothing to do with any "Movement" :shame: . A friend of mine who is also a collector read the both scripts.

They are both "Asakir-i Sahane" (Ottoman Army or Sultan's Army) in different pattern and mold.

Best wishes :beer:

Demir ERMAN

Hi Demir, this is fantastic :jumping: . I though they both read "Asakir-i Sahane" (Ottoman Army or Sultan's Army) as well. My though was that the more elaborate script version (I call version 1) is the earlier type. Because, of all the buckles I have seen so far they are either one pattern all the other. Are you able to get your friend to look at this particular buckle version for his view on the translation:

with kind regards

Hi JJ,

This buckle also has the same script "Asakir-i Şahane" (Ottoman Army or Sultan's Army).

:beer:

Best wishes

Demir