News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

German ribbon bar with bavarian cross

Good day. I need you advise and you opinions about this german ribbon bar. Can it be possible that austrian award worn before the Gindenburg cross? And quastion about Bavarian MVK cross. Is it on the right place. Any opinions welcome...... :cheers:

The bar has been mounted between 1938 and 1945 from the Nazi "Treudienst-Ehrenzeichen" and has the right precedence for that era. The Bavarian MVK is in the right place, but used to have swords a were foolishly removed to "increase" the value. :speechless:

Still, I'm not 100% sure about the Austrian cross. The ribbon looks a bit lighter as they usually have. Isn't that rather a ribbon for e.g. Prussian crown order medal? And were those Austian crosses allowed to be worn post 1936, when the German equivalents were banned... and yes I know, some wore them though - just the question if those were still allowed...

I would also think Crown Order Medal. The Bavarian MVK is not original to the bar, note how it's ring is bent and the others are not.

The bar could of had any grade of the MVK. It was common to take medal bars apart for individual medals especially when the medals clipped on.

or

It could correct.

~Ed

Guest Rick Research

Yes-- the greens have faded out on the last two ribbons.

The third ribbon, in that position, would seem most likely for a W?rttemberg Friedrich Order-Knight 2nd Class with Swords (WF3bX)... which would make the correct award for the 2nd ribbon a Bavarian Military Merit Order 4th Class with Swords (BMV4X).

That makes the Bavarian long service ribbon-- without a Luitpold Jubilee Medal 1905 or 1911 rather surprising... but the only logical thing there would have to be a Bavarian Reserve-Landwehr Medal 2nd Class (BLD2) because even a Veterinarian or other technical officer with long years in the ranks before getting an officer's commission would have had the 1911 Luitpold Jubilee..

That is the problem with these hook-back bars:

ANYTHING can be slipped on or off and it has been a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time for interfering little monkey fingers to "improve" things.

From the scan, it appears the backing cloth is Luftwaffe Abzeichentuch, commonly used on the reverse of air force medaal and ribbon bars. So whoever this fellow was, he was probably back in the Luftwaffe during the war, and this is a circa 1940 medal bar.