News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Rememeberance Day Ghurka Bugler

Ulsterman

Two are under the Gorkha's arm.

OP Parakram Medal

Sainya Seva Medal

High Altitude Medal

50th Anniversary of Independence Medal

9-Year Service Medal

As his Sainya Seva has no clasp, these are fakes (replicas, whatever) from a military tailor, not the real things. :banger: Don't overdo the praise.

Fake? ...or copy?

I am VERY confused here. What is the "state of affairs" with Nepalese/Indian medal bars?

If a Ghurka Sergeant is wearing a full medal rack with copy medals, doesn't that validate them as wearing copies?

What happened to his originals? Never issued? Lost, stolen?... or is he a fraud?

(I can not fathom the latter).

My guess is that his commander wanted the havildar to have nice sparkly medals as he was to be "on show" so they got annodized (sp?) tailor's copies mounted up. Most officers (true in all armies?) are easily ammused by sparkly things and dislike the real, duller appearance of authentic medals. Most serving officers also don't understand the meaning of clasps (this is why multi-clasp medals are so rare, as most recipients just pitch out subsequent loose clasps when received).

Medals have come to be seen, at least in the Indian Army (where this particular Gorkha bugler serves), as not much more important than buttons or cap badges or underwear.

To rectify this problem is one reason Rana and I did the book. The last I heard, each battalion will be getting a copy (whether they want it or not), which will just make them angry or confused or seeking the nearest trash bin but will make the publisher very happy.

Edited by Ed_Haynes