News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

What can you tell me about the Romanian Tank Badge?

Picked up this badge on Tuesday the 18th of Nov. because on the nice enamel work not to mention the good price. I'd like to have a smuch information as possible about the badge including value. Not that I want to sell it. Just to know what it is worth for future reference.

Regards,

Gordon

Edited by Gordon Craig

Hallo Gordon, :beer:

Nice find :jumping: please see:-

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=2551...n+Tank+Insignia

I believe these represent grade or proficiency in the various crew positions in the Armour Corps.

I have seen them described as Tank Driver Badges, but, I have never seen a Tank Commander badge

which leads me to the above supposition.

I am still after a Number 1 badge, here in Romania they are priced at about 25 - 40 Euros depending upon the "dealer".

No doubt with a little haggling you can get them for less.

Kevin in Deva :beer:

Kevin,

Thanks for the info. Someday the full story on these will no doubt turn up. If I see another #1 I'll pick it up for but I don't remember seeing any of these badges before.

Regards,

Gordon

Badges numbered 2 & 3 are to be found here ok, thanks for the offer of keeping an eye out :jumping:

Kevin in Deva :beer:

Someday the full story on these will no doubt turn up.

A relatively simple solution to the problem could be found if one meets a retired serviceman from a tank unit (in service before 1990) and ask him directly about these badges. Alternatively, the National Military Museum might have some information, but the story goes that they are slow to answer.

• 2 years later...

Hi Gordon,

the R.P.R. model can be seen here:-

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=20736

I have had no confirmation with exactly who in the crew would have got these, but, I still surmise that the driver, loader, commander, would have had to pass specific tests, the same as those in communications for example before getting a higher grade or classification, probably in order for promotion of rank.

Kevin in Deva. :beer: