News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Cobras

W McSwiggan

I am very interested in determining which units actually used the AH-1G operationally during the war.

I own a copy of Mr. Jonathan Bernstein?s book, "US Army AH-1 Cobra Units in Vietnam" published by Osprey. I find this work to be sloppy and in many instances internally contradictory.

Per this book, all Air Cavalry Troops, Aerial Field Artillery and Aero Weapons Companies (including the D Companies of the airmobile division assault helicopter battalions) ultimately were equipped and flew combat missions with this aircraft. In addition, the author claims that all divisional aviation battalion B companies operated the Cobra. While I can not confirm all of these statements, they seem reasonable enough.

He further states (by way of a list) that 7 assault helicopter companies used the cobra as well.

These are:

48 AHC

57 AHC

60 AHC

114 AHC

129 AHC

173 AHC? (within the book he cites pictures/illustrations of the 175th and places the 173rd in the wrong CTZ)

187AHC

Because of the numerous errors, typographical and factual (his statements about my unit are patently incorrect), I lack confidence in this publication. I can not rely on its accuracy and do not know if there are factual errors and/or omissions.

I have seen numerous tail number listings and other statistical information on the internet attributed to and referencing the "US Army Gold Book".

I have been unsuccessful in locating this publication. Can anyone here be of assistance?

Not all web-sites for Vietnam Helicopter Units give sufficient detail to determine if the unit operated cobras.

What I would really like to do is use or create a database that would allow me to find the dates of assignment of cobras to the various units in Vietnam preferably by tail number. Does such a database exist or can you direct me to a source that will allow me to create one?

What I ultimately wish to do is list, by company sized element, the number of cobras and the inclusive dates that these units operated the Cobra.

Alternately, if you know the summarized information I seek that would be wonderful & I would be very grateful.

By the way ? I am not pursuing this information for any literary or commercial reason.

Thank you in advance.

For the record:

AWC = 235, 238, 334, 361, D/101, D/158, D/227, D/229

AFA = 2-20, 4-77, F-79

Cavalry = D/1-1, D/2-1, 7-1, D/1-4, D/3-4, F-4, D/3-5, F-8, 1-9, F-9, D/1-10, H-10, Air/11, C-16, 2-17, 3-17, 7-17, D-17, H-17

Infantry Division Aviation Companies = B/1, B/4, B/9, B/25, B/123.

• 3 weeks later...

Update.

VHPA (Vietnam Helicopter Pilot's Association) has a cd for sale that contains a database constructed fron a literal translation of the "Golden Book". The Golden Book was never formally published and is likely only 80 to 90% accurate - whatever that means. I am oerating under the assumption that after "scrubbing" this database should yield what I am after - what units - what those units carried for nominal strength and the approximate begin dates of introduction of the AH-1G.

The data base generates different outputs for the same unit depending on the format of the unit identification used (A/1/9 Cav vs A 1 9 Cav). Very distracting and confusing.

I've just completed working on the numbered weapons companies (235, 238, 334 & 361) - somewhat of a headach inducing activity...

I will publish my findings here with all appropriate disclaimers when done.

Don't hold your breath in the meantime - this is painful...