News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Swedish Volunteer pilot KIA pilot wings WW2 value please !

A number of years ago i was lucky to aquire a SWEDISH PILOTS badge numbered 1435,i noted the other lisings various aviation medals to KARL GUNNAR LINDNER, sadly i was unable to get his medals as these were sold a few days after i won his pilots badge,luckily i downloaded copies of the auction of his awards and of the numbered pilots badge which i hasten to add the seller had miss listed.

It turns out that Karl had a distinguished career flying on a world trip with Baron Huenefield. Sadly whilst on a secret mission to the UK with the RAF he was killed in action,his aircraft was shot down in August 1943.

Obviously this pilots badge would be a total gem to any person interested in the volunteer aviators of sweden, as i will be interested in selling this in due course together with all the above paperwork,which relates to items belonging to Lindner in the estates sale.

Then i would be greatful on some idea on value.

THANKS

STEVE </B></FONT>From: 09/18/28 To: 10/25/28 (Berlin, Germany to Tokyo, Japan)

Miles Flown:

Flying Time:

Plane Type: Junkers W33L

Plane Names: Europa

Pilot Names: Baron Huenefeld & K.G. Lindner

On the evening on 27 August 1943, ABA's DC-3 "Gladan" (SE-BAF) took off from Britain bound for Sweden. The crew on this flight consisted on the chief pilot Karl Gunnar Lindner, co-pilot M?rne, W/T operator Per Arne Persson and mechanic Tor August Werner. There were three passengers in the aircraft.

After midnight German fighters shot down the aircraft over the North Sea (this was not admitted until 1951). All aboard were killed.

A number of years ago i was lucky to aquire a SWEDISH PILOTS badge numbered 1435,i noted the other lisings various aviation medals to KARL GUNNAR LINDNER, sadly i was unable to get his medals as these were sold a few days after i won his pilots badge,luckily i downloaded copies of the auction of his awards and of the numbered pilots badge which i hasten to add the seller had miss listed.

It turns out that Karl had a distinguished career flying on a world trip with Baron Huenefield. Sadly whilst on a secret mission to the UK with the RAF he was killed in action,his aircraft was shot down in August 1943.

Obviously this pilots badge would be a total gem to any person interested in the volunteer aviators of sweden, as i will be interested in selling this in due course together with all the above paperwork,which relates to items belonging to Lindner in the estates sale.

Then i would be greatful on some idea on value.

THANKS

STEVE </B></FONT>From: 09/18/28 To: 10/25/28 (Berlin, Germany to Tokyo, Japan)

Miles Flown:

Flying Time:

Plane Type: Junkers W33L

Plane Names: Europa

Pilot Names: Baron Huenefeld & K.G. Lindner

On the evening on 27 August 1943, ABA's DC-3 "Gladan" (SE-BAF) took off from Britain bound for Sweden. The crew on this flight consisted on the chief pilot Karl Gunnar Lindner, co-pilot M?rne, W/T operator Per Arne Persson and mechanic Tor August Werner. There were three passengers in the aircraft.

After midnight German fighters shot down the aircraft over the North Sea (this was not admitted until 1951). All aboard were killed.

noted on google" did a little more research on my posting #19:

"I remember on one occasion earlier this year where a medal on eBay caught my eye. It was a medal awarded to a swedish pilot in the late 1930s. (Now, remember that this isn't my primary field of interest, so the details are a bit rusty now. I did, however, research it a bit at the time).

It turned out to be a group of medals, orders and badges awarded to one of the pioneers of Swedish aviation (I have forgotten his name unfortunately :blush: ), who flew one of the first non-stop flights to Tokyo in the late 1930s. There was a connection with Germany, but I can't remember if he started from Germany or had a German co-pilot.

Among the medals were named Japanese medals in gold, named and unnamed Swedish decorations and aviation badges and even an Order of the German Eagle.

At the time I spotted the auction, 7-8 items were sold separately. All the auctions had a picture showing all his awards, and that made me curious. Sure enough - looking at the seller's history, several badges and medals had already been sold. Of the Order of the German Eagle there was no trace...

And - yes- all the items had different buyers...

This splitting up of such a historical important group really broke my heart... :(

/Mike"

The pilots name was Karl Gunnar Lindner. He was one of the aviation pioneers from the pre-WWII era. Among his highlights were:

- 1928: Flying a Junkers W 33 together with German Baron von H?nefeld in an attempted round-the-world flight. They reached Berlin-Sofia-Constantinople-Bagdad-Karachi-Calcutta-Mandalay-Hanoi-Canton-Shanghai-Tokyo, where they gave up due to bad weather.

- 1934: First flight Stockholm - Hannover. Lindner and his radio-operator had to bail out of the plane.

- 1938: First flight Stockholm - Moscow. The only passenger in the Junkers Ju-52 was the Japanese ambassador in Moscow.

- 1939: First flight Bromma (Sweden) - Perth (Scotland).

What a shame to split this group! :angry:

The seller was from somewhere in South America (Brasil?). Maybe Lindner ended his days down there?

It was obvious from the description of the stuff on eBay, that the seller did not split it up to get a higher profit, but just had absolutely no idea what it was or who it had belonged to :( "

Since I'm the writer behind the outcry above (was it in another thread on GMIC...?), I'd like to comment a bit more.

Yes, the group was all sorts of medals and badges - some named, some unnamed - belonging to Lindner and it will never be joined again.

What a great shame that such a historic group was split up for that little extra profit :(

/Mike

Since I'm the writer behind the outcry above (was it in another thread on GMIC...?), I'd like to comment a bit more.

Yes, the group was all sorts of medals and badges - some named, some unnamed - belonging to Lindner and it will never be joined again.

What a great shame that such a historic group was split up for that little extra profit :(

/Mike

Hi Mike,

Sorry i couldnt acredit you above,as it didnt say who you were ! nice to have a chat though about this..when i originally spotted the badges and medals i had every intention of buying them all and keeping them together as you no doubt recall as the word got out his medals etc went through the roof price wise...it was a truly great shame and like you said a very historical grouping indeed.

So here are his pilot wings anyway...these days sadly i dont collect WW2 pilot badges so i am trying to get some idea of value .

All the best mate

Steve