News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Desperately Seeking Bavarian Rank List Data Circa 1896

Guest Rick Research

For an ongoing sword research project, I am desperately seeking the birth year, commission date as Leutnant and Bavarian regiment of one

Heinrich Ritter und Edler von Kienle

who by 1903 was apparently the single MOST boring army administrative official in the Wittelsbach forces. But as his career "advanced," he always is referred to as "Leutnant aD" and having NOTHING Bavarian from before 1903, I haven't been able to find him.

The person who presented this Highly Obscure If Over-Titled Person with a very nifty lion head sword in 1896 was one "Henn" who I suspect was

Richard Henn, born 1875, commissioned Leutnant 27 February 1896 in Bavarian Field Artillery Regiment 12.

These sort of gift swords tend to be commissioning presents, so am trying to establish if Ritter und Edler von Kienle WAS a contemporary of THIS Henn (the other "suspect" is so incredibly unlikely as to defy belief) and did indeed serve in artillery or the train to have a lionhead pattern sword.

Henn himself vanishes between my 1903 and 1909 Bavarian Rank List, but have R&E vK through to 1916. (Staggeringly :sleep: which just goes to show that the prettiest/most expensive sword in the world doesn't ALWAYS turn out to be an exciting tale....

:beer:

• 1 month later...

Rick,

Heinrich Ritter und Edler von Kienle was commissioned into 9. Infanterie-Regiment Wrede on 27.2.1896. Born in 1875 he was promoted to Portepee-F?hnrich on 5.2.95. He retired on 19 February 1899 with a view to an appointment in the civil service. Very much looks like Henn was a classmate with the same commission date.

Regards

Glenn