News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hessen-Kassel Iron Helm

ReallY!?

This is VERY exciting news. Do you plan to publish an article?

Well I do plan to publish an article, but at the moment I am gathering data on the individual Knights, the reasons for individual awards and I am also collecting pictures where the IH is shown in wear. So it really still is in the research phase. E.g. for the 1815 awards I will need to get my hands on scans of the Kriegstagebuch of the 1815 campaign which was written by a distant relative of mine, the ggrandfather of the later Major who was a ADC to the CP Wilhelm in WWI.

The research will still take some time, but there will be a publication (either in book or article) in a year or 2.

Edited by David M

• 1 month later...

Just found the 1821 list for the Iron helm (only 136 though). It really was a fighting mans' award. I note that there's a Austrian von Haynau. I wonder if he's any relation to our Haynau?

Interesting to see where Hessenthal et Schr. got their information.

:Cat-Scratch:

........and the complete 1814/15 iron cross list (1st class and noncombatants.)

:cheers:

Edited by Ulsterman

Just found the 1821 list for the Iron helm (only 136 though). It really was a fighting mans' award. I note that there's a Austrian von Haynau. I wonder if he's any relation to our Haynau?

Interesting to see where Hessenthal et Schr. got their information.

:Cat-Scratch:

........and the complete 1814/15 iron cross list (1st class and noncombatants.)

:cheers:

Well the picture our Haynau uses as his avatar is the same as the austrian Haynau listed in the OEH list. If he is really related though I do not know....The FML only had a daughter as I recall. The Haynau and Hessenstein-brothers listed are all natural sons of Wilhelm I

Really? I never knew that!

Perhaps we have a Prince amongst us then.

I assumed by the mustache on the avatar's picture that it was @ 1860-80.

What is also useful in that Almanach is the point it gives towards the list of EK2 winners. So an award list of the 1813 EK2 is viable. Just from those sources alone we have 25% of the names available. Interesting that by 1818, 900 recipients were dead already.

Edited by Ulsterman