News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Calling the ID experts - a nice W?rttemberg chain

Hello All.

I've got the attached miniature chain in my collection. Well, for the moment it have the status of "Not really included" and resides between spares and exchange material. It's also not in the best condition as several medaillions is missing. It may have been exposed to heat at some time?

The bad thing is that it's not even complete as 4 decorations is missing. The good thing is that I have the original fitted case.

Another good thing is that I do know who removed the 4 missing items and as such I do know what's missing. Another good thing is that I could get my hands on those decorations with a little pursuation and thus I can actually complete the chain.

But I will only do that, taken the condition into consideration, if this chain could tell a history and turns out to be of some interest, meaning would it be posible to do an ID here?

The 4 missing items is, in that specific order:

W?rttemberg - Order of Friedrich, civilian issue (no X)

Preussia - Johanitter Orden (I believe it's the grade called "Rechtsritter")

Baden - Z?hringer L?we, R2 with oakleaves

Austria - Order of Franz Joseph

Can anybody help?

Regards, Lars

Guest Rick Research

The1897 Centenary Medal is puzzling, since that implies active duty military service on 22 March 1897 in a very limited possible places for a W?rttemberger-- but the rest suggests a civilian Court official of fairly junior status-- about the same as a Captain-- but in some very good job for getting lots of glittering "presents" from other States. (Maybe at the Orders Chancery?)

There was no military Beamter who matches in 1914, so I'd say what you need is a Hof- und- Staatshandbuch for that year. The closest I've got is 1909 which is too far away to be sure when this EXTREMELY distinctive combination of awards might have accumulated.

The Research Gnomes' work is on MILITARY groups. I do not know of anyone doing similar work on CIVILIANS.

But with the right period reference book, this should leap off the page.

It is too too bad it is in such wretched condition. :(

****The damaged military XXV long service cross escaped my notice at first... will recheck 1914....

nope.

Have Imperial Navy, Bavarian, and Prussian sources.... very short on W?rttemberg. Too many things to do and not enough Gnomes.

Edited by Rick Research

Hi Christian L., thanks for posting the photo of the chain, was it yours originally? I knew it came from eBay and it fits completely with the info I have, it's those 4 I can get with a little effort.

Rick, thanks for trying but I understand it's difficult or not possible to identify. I think I will stick with the chain as is and eventual use it as "spares".

Thanks, Lars