News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Greece - Help with makers of Redeemer Order

Hi,

My Xmas present has been a lovely greek order of the Redeemer, it?s really one of pretty order that I have

had in my hands (pity of chip in enamel :( ). Watching with the lens, it is valued perfectly that the redeemer was painted by hand.

The order is a silver cross (fifth class, 2nd model), but I not to know the maker, looking in the Web, I have seen several: Lemaitre (Paris), Huguenin (Swiss), Greek jewelers...it?s possible to know the maker or at least the period of issue?.

Best regards

redentor2jg0.jpgredentor3uy6.jpg

redentor1ox7.jpg

Edited by palencia

Very nice X-mas present, congratulations for the new mmber in your collection.

I do not know much about Greek orders but comparing it with Montenegro orderof Danilo I. the suspension of the crown looks absolutely the same as with Lemaitre made items of Danilo order. Huguenin has completely different "type" of suspension.

Hope that this maybe could help.

Best regards and a happy new year

Milan

Hi,

My Xmas present has been a lovely greek order of the Redeemer, it?s really one of pretty order that I have

had in my hands (pity of chip in enamel :( ). Watching with the lens, it is valued perfectly that the redeemer was painted by hand.

The order is a silver cross (fifth class, 2nd model), but I not to know the maker, looking in the Web, I have seen several: Lemaitre (Paris), Huguenin (Swiss), Greek jewelers...it?s possible to know the maker or at least the period of issue?.

Best regards

redentor2jg0.jpgredentor3uy6.jpg

redentor1ox7.jpg

• 1 year later...

Indeed, your Redeemer is a Lemaitre-made of the late 1900's.

Thank you for your reply.beer.gif

I would like to ask you till when Lemaitre was making these orders to the Greek government and if Lemaitre were the unique supplier during this period

Regards

Enrique

Edited by palencia

Lemaitre was manufacturing Redeemer Orders from king Otho's reign (about 1850-60 probably), until at least the Balkan Wars (1912-13), as seen from the various photos. he wasn't the only manufacturer, as Georges Pomonis was also producing redeemers in the late 1800s. I do not know if the two manufacturers were taking orders at the same time periods, or they had simultaneous contracts with the greek government.

Lemaitre was manufacturing Redeemer Orders from king Otho's reign (about 1850-60 probably), until at least the Balkan Wars (1912-13), as seen from the various photos. he wasn't the only manufacturer, as Georges Pomonis was also producing redeemers in the late 1800s. I do not know if the two manufacturers were taking orders at the same time periods, or they had simultaneous contracts with the greek government.

If lemaitre stop to provide in 1913, who was the provider during the great war?

Here are some Redeemer photos of different periods. The one on the lower left corner is the latter type of lemaitre, which corresponds to the Balkan Wars and probably WWI period.

Its approximate market price is 200-220 euros.

Hello all,

Here is a Redeemer piece that is part of a Balkans War & Great War (WW1) group that I recently obtained. Aside from the enamel chips I think it is a particularly nice order and a great centre-piece of the group as it indicates some form of wear on the part of the recipient.

Close-up of the obverse centre to follow.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

• 5 months later...

To all,

Here is another Order of the Redeemer piece in my collection. It has a number of differences from that previously posted insofar as the surrounding wreath is much thicker, and the portrait on the obverse is different.

I would appreciate any ideas as to the manufacturer.

Regards,

Rob

To all,

Here is another Order of the Redeemer piece in my collection. It has a number of differences from that previously posted insofar as the surrounding wreath is much thicker, and the portrait on the obverse is different.

I would appreciate any ideas as to the manufacturer.

Regards,

Rob

Unknown to me, but probably another Lemaitre version, especially if you see no maker's marks.

Unknown to me, but probably another Lemaitre version, especially if you see no maker's marks.

Hello Makedon,

I have checked the decoration, including the suspension ring, and can find no makers marks or what could be interpreted as a makers mark. Is there any location in particular that such marks would be?

Regards,

Rob

Hello Makedon,

I have checked the decoration, including the suspension ring, and can find no makers marks or what could be interpreted as a makers mark. Is there any location in particular that such marks would be?

Regards,

Rob

Suspension (reverse V) and suspension ring usually!