News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Treasure hunters find, lost Nazi gold & silver,

A group of treasure hunters may have stumbled across two tonnes of Nazi gold whilst hunting for the elusive Amber Room.

They have been digging in the small eastern German town Deutschneudorf on the border with the Czech Republic.

The latest treasure hunters believe they may have found up to two tonnes of looted Nazi gold or silver hidden in an underground hollow spaceThe Amber Room - which was a complete chamber decoration of panels backed with gold leaf and mirrors - was a gift from Prussian king Frederik William I to Russian Tsar Peter the Great.

Amber Room was dismantled by Wehrmacht soldiers near St Petersburg in 1941, but knowledge of its whereabouts was lost in the chaos at the end of the Second World War and archaeologists have been searching for it for decades.

The latest treasure hunters believe they may have found up to two tonnes of looted Nazi gold or silver hidden in an underground hollow space, but not the Amber Room itself.

Christian Hanisch said: "We will find this hollow space, enter it and then we'll see what we find. We might come out crying or with a big smile on our faces. Something will happen."

Mr Hanisch's is using coordinates based on documents provided by his father - who was a radio operator for the German air force during World War II - to determine the location where the Nazis are said to have hidden looted gold and diamonds at the end of the war.

In 2003, a reconstruction of the Amber Room was officially opened by Russian President Vladimir Putin and then German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder.

The Soviet Union decided to recreate the missing treasure in 1979 and some 50 experts worked on the project which was partly financed by a German gas suppliers.

Old news from February 2008 I believe,

http://www.mahalo.com/Deutschneudorf

the find turned out to be nothing of consequence (as usual in such cases on missing nazi gold).

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Yes I agree, but maybe next time hey? I was reading somewhere, that they believe theres a island somewhere, were the Reich buried a lot of this sort of thing, will see if I can find the site....

Yes I agree, but maybe next time hey? I was reading somewhere, that they believe theres a island somewhere, were the Reich buried a lot of this sort of thing, will see if I can find the site....

I always thought Treasure Island was pre WW2 :P

• 2 weeks later...

LONDON (Reuters) - Three ancient medallions looted by the Nazis in World War Two and missing for more than 60 years are being returned to the heirs of the former owner, the Commission for Looted Art in Europe said on Tuesday.

The three gold-glass relics from the 4th century AD are decorated with some of the earliest known depictions of Jewish symbols from the Second Temple period.

Found in the Rome catacombs in the 17th century, they were part of the collection in Poland of Countess Isabella Dzialynska.

Hidden for safekeeping at the outbreak of war, they were found and taken by the Nazis in 1941 and sent to Austria on the orders of Adolf Hitler where they were once again looted by locals at the end of the war.

The three medallions were acquired in the 1960s by the Israel Museum Jerusalem which, under the deal with Dzialynska's heirs, is keeping two of them bearing the ancient Jewish symbols.

"We are very happy with the outcome," said Count Adam Zamoyski, speaking in London on behalf of the heirs.

"Although our purpose is to recover as many looted items as possible with a view to one day recreating the Dzialynska Collection in Poland, we fully recognize the importance of the two glasses to the Jewish people, and respect the wishes of the Israel Museum to keep them in Jerusalem."

One, with crouching lions of Judah and menorahs, has been purchased by the museum. The other, with three torah scrolls clearly visible, has been bought by a patron and given back to the museum on long-term loan.

The third, depicting a fruit basket and what is thought to be a duck, is being returned to the family.

"We are delighted to have agreed this restitution and to have facilitated the retention by the Israel Museum of the two gold-glasses with their significant Jewish motifs," said David Lewis and Anne Webber, of the Commission for Looted Art in Europe which represents the heirs and negotiated the deal.

"Many works of art from this renowned collection are still missing and we hope that the news of this restitution may contribute to their location and recovery in the future."

The return of the objects follows the restitution to the family two months ago of a 13th century Limoges enamel cross that was looted at the same time.

Set up in 1999, the commission has been instrumental in achieving the restitution of more than 3,000 Nazi looted objects.