News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Off to China... Schutztruppe sails....

A pic from the photographer at Lockstedter Lager. I guess everone had their pic taken as this guy is number 195. there is a "1" on the shoulderboard.

According to the back his name is Joseph Holland.

Must have been somewhere between 1900 and 1914, I have no idea when... maybe someone can tell from the uniform?

Best

Chris

Chris,

This is the M01 winter tunic for members of the East Asian Occupation Brigade, in this case the 1st Regiment of infantry. I am not sure when these troops were recalled, so I can't give you an end date on the use of these. I am sure you can find their history on the Web.

Chip

Guest Rick Research

It was "aufgel?st" between the 1909 and 1910 editions of the Prussian-W?rttemberg Rank Lists.

If this uniform wasn't used by the actual East Asian Expeditionary Force of 1900-1902 then it was much rarer-- troop strength dropped from a what was effectively an army corps in 1901 to a brigade after 1902. :cheers:

I've never seen what look like those INDIVIDUAL Mauser ammunition pouches.

Those individual 3-clip pouches were used by the navy and some specialty troops, including bicycle troops. I did not know that this type existed so early. The WWI era infantry pouches did not come out until 1909 for the the Gewehr 98 and so I suspect that they used the older patterns (M89 & M95) until then.

Chip

• 3 months later...

Chris,

This is the M01 winter tunic for members of the East Asian Occupation Brigade, in this case the 1st Regiment of infantry. I am not sure when these troops were recalled, so I can't give you an end date on the use of these. I am sure you can find their history on the Web.

Chip

I agree with Chip, it is the field grey uniform of the East Asian Occupation Brigade introduced in 1901. These uniforms were replaced in 1904 with a slightly different tunic with pointed pocket flaps.

Cheers

Chris