News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Ian McDonald - Webb, awards

All right, this might be a very optimistic long shot. But I'll give it a try?

I'm working on a list of all the awards of the Norwegian medal Armed Forces' Medal for Bravery.

I've found a short article about a guy named Ian McDonald-Webb (possible McDonald Webb) serving at ?rland Hovedflystasjon outside Trondheim in Norway.

One day he was flying a F-16 and a fire started in his plane. Without getting panic, he managed to land the plane safely, despite the fact his engine was hardly working. I think this was in 1997.

The article states he was awarded the medal, but I cannot find any other source to back it up.

Have any of you ever heard about this?

a quick check of the LG has brought up these 2 McDonald-Webbs in the RAF

R. N. MCDONALD-WEBB (8104132E). Flying Officer

I D MCDONALD-WEBB (8037558Q) also seen reference to him with SN (8027558Q) Squadron leader RAF retired 1998

Perhaps a lead to follow

Cheers

Chris

Thank you, Chris.

This morning I found another Norwegian source stating he was squadron leader when he got the medal, so it might be the latter person you mentioned.

But I find it odd that LG don't say anything about him getting a medal for bravery.

• 1 year later...

All right, this might be a very optimistic long shot. But I'll give it a try?

I'm working on a list of all the awards of the Norwegian medal Armed Forces' Medal for Bravery.

I've found a short article about a guy named Ian McDonald-Webb (possible McDonald Webb) serving at ?rland Hovedflystasjon outside Trondheim in Norway.

One day he was flying a F-16 and a fire started in his plane. Without getting panic, he managed to land the plane safely, despite the fact his engine was hardly working. I think this was in 1997.

The article states he was awarded the medal, but I cannot find any other source to back it up.

Have any of you ever heard about this?

Hello my name is Scot Mcdonald-Webb. Ian is my father. He was posted in Norway on an exchange pilot post. His f-16 suffered form a catastrophic engine failure. He manage to dead stick lad the aircraft and was awarded the edeldode medal (Norwegians Kings Medal) form the King Of Norway. I believe he is the only English pilot to gain this medal. Sorry about a late post. If you want anymore info ill ask my old man.

Thanks,

Scot Mcdonald-Webb

Hello Scot.

Thank you for your reply, and thus demonstrating one of the biggest advantages of a forum like this :D

I think you are right; your father is most likely the only British subject to recieve this medal. About 200 awarded so far, less than 5 % to foreigners and only one to a member of the UK armed forces.

Did your father mount the medal in a group with any other medals? Or the ribbon together with British ribbons? If so, do you think it is possible to see a picture of this? It would be a very interesting and unique picture!

Regards

Kristian

• 10 months later...

Hello Scot.

Thank you for your reply, and thus demonstrating one of the biggest advantages of a forum like this :D

I think you are right; your father is most likely the only British subject to recieve this medal. About 200 awarded so far, less than 5 % to foreigners and only one to a member of the UK armed forces.

Did your father mount the medal in a group with any other medals? Or the ribbon together with British ribbons? If so, do you think it is possible to see a picture of this? It would be a very interesting and unique picture!

Regards

Kristian

Hey,

sorry for taking so long, I hope you get this. He wears it on a seperat ribbon around the neck, unfortunatly the ribbon was dammaged so he had ordered a new one. Hey may have had it set with the British ones but im not sure. I will get a picture on as soon as possible.

Thanks

Scot