News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• 2 weeks later...
    • 1 month later...
    • 2 months later...

If you are thinking of the reverse cut prongs that we often see on reproductions, these aren't quite like that. I see what you mean about the cut on the end....but these aren't the same IMO.

This buckle looks right to me.

Rob

Rob, Yes..exactly what I think, the buckle looks right but the prongs look like no Imperial I have ever seen. Looked at closely they are extremely sharply pointed, unneccessarily so.

There is also another unusual trait to these prongs..it appears that wire was used to hold them on for the soldering process? Another thing I have never seen.

I am curious to know if the roller tube is split? It is not shown in the photo's.

Jerry Burney

I would think that there is no sleeve on the prong bar by the looks of it. I do see the wire that could have been used to keep the prongs on the bar during the solder. That is something that I've never seen .... but one must keep in mind that ww1 buckles were manufactured by many a firm and each one had it's own way of making these buckles. There are more variants when it comes to ww1 army buckles than there are when it comes to ww2 army buckles.

Cheers!

Rob

• 3 weeks later...

A couple days ago - I received a Bavarian 1895 pattern buckle to add to my collection. When looking at the prong bar - I noticed a similar "wire" attachment on the back.....It automatically made me think of this previous post so I thought I'd take some pics and post them here. Same maker? Who knows....maybe there were more than just one maker that used this technique.

Cheers!

Rob

A couple days ago - I received a Bavarian 1895 pattern buckle to add to my collection. When looking at the prong bar - I noticed a similar "wire" attachment on the back.....It automatically made me think of this previous post so I thought I'd take some pics and post them here. Same maker? Who knows....maybe there were more than just one maker that used this technique.

Cheers!

Rob

I have serious doubts about this one. I recently picked up a Prussian one on eBay with the same wire on the prongs. The heavy verdigris on yours where the belt end would have been is convincing, but the appearance of two with the previously unknown thin wire wrapping seems a bit more than coincidence. There are at least three companies selling high quality repros but unfortunately none of them show the backs.

post-252-1245623915_thumb.jpg

post-252-1245624303_thumb.jpg

Tom, Rob, I am interested to know from you both if the roller tube the prongs are attached to is split along it's length? I cannot see from the photo's if this tube is split anywhere.

The reason I ask is..the split must be there. If you encounter an unsplit tube..this metal technolodgy did not exist in WW1 but is common today.

Jerry Burney

Tom, Rob, I am interested to know from you both if the roller tube the prongs are attached to is split along it's length? I cannot see from the photo's if this tube is split anywhere.

The reason I ask is..the split must be there. If you encounter an unsplit tube..this metal technolodgy did not exist in WW1 but is common today.

Jerry Burney

Split

HMMMMM......On my example it is split right close to the prongs...but I have a tombak buckle that shows no split....and possibly more.....Are you sure about the technology??

Cheers!

Rob

I think if you look closely you'll see a fine soldered seam.