News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

arabic badge - please help to identify

vorbeste

Laszlo,

This is the insignia of the Egyptian Commandos, worn on the sleeve. The arc says "Al Saiqa," (literally "thunderbolt"), the standard Arabic term for commandos.

Most of these are made at Maison Tawfiq Bichay, and are marked on the back. There are numerous minor variations in the design.

Regards,

Chris

By the standards of Egyptian insignia, they're not very rare. On Ebay, for example, Commando and Paratroop insignia and jump wings are probably the most common Egyptian insignia -- one set usually shows up for auction every few months. But they usually seem to sell, so there would seem to be a bit of a market for them. Like I said, there are numerous minor variations which might make them more interesting.

Shameless self-promotion: I published a short article on Egyptian commando and paratroop insignia in the October 2008 issue of Military Trader.

Hope this helps,

Chris