News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

RARE 1945 Original Photo JAPANESE SURRENDER on MISSOURI

bigjarofwasps

RARE and HISTORIC Vintage 1945 ORIGINAL News Service Photograph depicting the scene on September 3, 1945 aboard the USS Missouri when the Japanese surrendered signaling the end of World War II. Original press stamp and caption with date are on the verso of this 8? x 10? photograph. Shown on board to sign the surrender document are Foreign Minister Shigemitsu, General Yoshijiro Umezu, Katsuo Okazaki and Col. Kaziyi Sugita. One of the few originals extant, issued at the time the event happened !

In the history of the United States, there have been many notable written and photographic war documents. For the American colonies, the great Charter Document, the Declaration of Independence, began a long and painful struggle that ended on a battlefield at Yorktown, Virginia with the Articles of Capitulation between General Washington and Lord Cornwallis on October 19, 1781. A new nation was thus assured its survival.

In the twentieth century, the most dramatic and profound war document in the history of the United States was signed on September 2, 1945 aboard the Battleship USS MISSOURI (BB-63) on Tokyo Bay. This document, the Instrument of Surrender ended the hostilities of World War II. The link between the surrender at Yorktown and the surrender of the Empire of Japan in 1945, completed the rise of the United States of America to a position of vast military strength and global leadership.

A snip at price: ?14,500.00

Guest Rick Research

(Gomer Pyle:) Golllllllllllllll-y!

Press release photos printed off in the multiples of thousands when they had to be individually sent that way to every small town newspaper (when every small town HAD one)...

and the sort of print that I paid 50 cents or maybe a dollar for when I was a kid in the 1960s.

I've got similar from the FIRST war.

Neither rare nor particularly interesting since these tended to be either

1) MASS published or

2) not published at all (usually for a very good reason!)

(Homer Simpson): DOH !

:cheeky: :cheers:

My next door neighbor was the photographer on the USS Missouri for the surrender ceremonies. I assume he was one of several official photographers and I do not believe he was the principal one, but frankly, I've never asked. He's got several albums full of these images, not the newsprints but the originals. I also think he still has a few of his cameras lying around, quite possibly also the camera that originally took this picture.

I'm sure he'll be fascinated to hear that he is such an incredibly rich man! ;)

~TS

My next door neighbor was the photographer on the USS Missouri for the surrender ceremonies. I assume he was one of several official photographers and I do not believe he was the principal one, but frankly, I've never asked. He's got several albums full of these images, not the newsprints but the originals. I also think he still has a few of his cameras lying around, quite possibly also the camera that originally took this picture.

I'm sure he'll be fascinated to hear that he is such an incredibly rich man! ;)

~TS

Be sure to tell him that he heard it here first..... :rolleyes: